PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for the 2008 elections

Uglyowl
11-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Hope everyone has great Thanksgiving. Hopefully after the holidays we can get started early for the next election cycle.
What is everyone's ideas of where we should focus our efforts?

- "Poker players against Bob Goodlatte"
Mr. Goodlatte had no Democratic opposition in 2000, 2002, 2004, or 2006.

- Supporting Shelley Berkeley, Harry Reid, ect. to get the poker carve out rolling.

- Writing editorials to newspapers if Bill Frist's presidential bid ever gets off the ground.

- Will it be PPA, NROG, or someone else who leads this charge?

SlapPappy
11-25-2006, 11:47 AM
My sense is that the best chance we have is to have to get poker back to where it was prior legislation is to have Harrah's or MGM jump on board and lobby. Money is all these damn politicians understand. Except Barney Frank. And I still wish he would find a way to kill this bill or make the regulations very transparent. Since he is the new Financial Services Committee Chairman no?

HSB
11-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Isn't there going to be some kind of public comment period on the regulations due out in the Summer? I think that's the place to start.

Then, has PPA or someone else formed a PAC?

I don't think opposition to Frist is going to do much other than make us feel good so I'm thinking the thing to do would be to concentrate on maintaining the Democratic majority in the House and talking to the leadership to make sure they know the money is going to follow the votes.

AAAA
11-26-2006, 12:05 AM
well for enforcement if poker isn't illegal, then the law wouldn't apply. if saner heads are in charge of deciding what the law applies to, it would seem that discretion could be used unless there was some requirement to say poker was illegal gambling.