PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Philosophical Question EVER

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Hypothetically, if you are a young male in his early 20's with a clean bill of health. And the relationships you have had have been mostly about sex/pleasure never anything more than that. Let's say you almost never have feelings for women beyond the natural attraction, in short, you are compatible with a very low % of women.

Now one day you meet a girl that you are very attracted too, you begin to talk to this person and you realize how easy it is. You share similar philosophical/religious beliefs, thought processes, humor, while she in turn is very attracted to you.
Let's even go as far as to say she is the ONLY girl you have ever loved (does this carry less weight because you are only in your early 20's?).

So you guys begin to date and emotions are running HIGH. You peel off her clothes and pull out a condom, but before you begin to have sex she has one thing to tell you.

She has herpes.

You are caught completely off guard and don't even know how to react. What is the next step in this relationship?

A. Get herpes and continue the relationship
B. Dump her because there are "more fish in the sea."

Keep in mind I am going with the assumption that if you continue the relationship you will definitely get herpes.

Are some relationships worth more than an STD? Note that this will greatly affect any future relationships you have and seriously diminish your "worth" when it comes to dating.

hmkpoker
11-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Dealbreaker.

Later bitch.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dealbreaker.

Later bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the majority of people feel this way?

Dan.
11-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Wasn't this posted in OOT already?

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your answer?

keith123
11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
avoid getting it. tons of people have the herpes already if you do get it.

Dan.
11-24-2006, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a question at all. If you love the girl, you've already got your answer. If you just think you love this girl, find another. The situation must be the later, else you wouldn't have posted at all.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If tons of people have it wouldn't that lean your decision towards staying with the person?

DCopper04
11-24-2006, 10:26 PM
If I really loved her that much, I could probably manage with just BJs for a while. That would give me more time to figure out if she's worth it.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I really loved her that much, I could probably manage with just BJs for a while. That would give me more time to figure out if she's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still possible to get herpes through oral sex. You'd have to wear a condom + only get BJs and there would still be a chance you could get it.

vhawk01
11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
This is a really easy question. Be safe, minimize your risk of getting herpes. Its not that hard. Continue seeing her. If you get married, just get the herpes. Its not like this is a terminal disease.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a really easy question. Be safe, minimize your risk of getting herpes. Its not that hard. Continue seeing her. If you get married, just get the herpes. Its not like this is a terminal disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh so marriage ensures that you will never break up? First off, just because you say some vows and put a ring on her finger doesn't mean you are more likely OR less likely to stay with her. Secondly, not having sex for that long is pretty unreasonable.

Horrible answer.

keith123
11-24-2006, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If tons of people have it wouldn't that lean your decision towards staying with the person?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. date her. but avoid getting herpes. if you do get it...

vhawk01
11-24-2006, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh so marriage ensures that you will never break up? First off, just because you say some vows and put a ring on her finger doesn't mean you are more likely OR less likely to stay with her. Secondly, not having sex for that long is pretty unreasonable.

Horrible answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of COURSE it doesnt ensure it. But it makes it likely enough to offset the negative outcome of having herpes. At least in my opinion. Feel free to change 'marriage' to long-term, committed relationship if you feel like being a GIGANTIC NIT. Thanks for calling my answer horrible.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats your answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a question at all. If you love the girl, you've already got your answer. If you just think you love this girl, find another. The situation must be the later, else you wouldn't have posted at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice black and white thinking. Are you an absolutist?

vhawk01
11-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Also, never did I say you need to avoid sex entirely. If you have sex, with a condom, and during a time when she isn't having an outbreak, your risk is very, very low. Also, I am not sure that a woman can give a man herpes through her performing oral sex on him. I'm fairly certain that she can't, but I may be wrong.

You really should have made this something legit, like HIV.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So date her and remain celebit? Again, pretty unreasonable for two young people.

vhawk01
11-24-2006, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So date her and remain celebit? Again, pretty unreasonable for two young people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooray for false dilemmas.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, never did I say you need to avoid sex entirely. If you have sex, with a condom, and during a time when she isn't having an outbreak, your risk is very, very low. Also, I am not sure that a woman can give a man herpes through her performing oral sex on him. I'm fairly certain that she can't, but I may be wrong.

You really should have made this something legit, like HIV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah HIV would be WAY harder. I like the idea of wearing a condom + having sex when the virus is dormant. But I think when you commit to having sex you need to prepare for the worst scenario.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said in my OP that if you continue to date her we are assuming you would get herpes. I like how people ignored that assumption.

vhawk01
11-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I didn't ignore the assumption I just chose to take it a different way. I agree that eventually I will get it...once I've decided this one is 'the one' for better or for worse. I just didn't take your assumption to mean that if I don't dump her today, I get herpes tomorrow.

valenzuela
11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
if you have to post this, move on.

Speedlimits
11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you have to post this, move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get out of here with your fortune cookie advice. There are so many factors that can influence your mind state, especially if people whose opinion you highly respect give conflicting advice.

keith123
11-24-2006, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said in my OP that if you continue to date her we are assuming you would get herpes. I like how people ignored that assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

why assume that? have you heard of a condom? how about not having sex when there is an open sore? it isn't THAT hard to be safe.

ALawPoker
11-25-2006, 12:47 AM
I don't see a right answer to this one. You just have to weigh the likelihood of the relationship working vs. the likelihood of you finding another suitable partner vs. the value of not having herpes should you re-enter the dating scene, and the payoffs vary from person to person. I'd certainly err on the side of leaving dodge, if for no other reason than that a relationship you feel handcuffed to make work will not be a healthy one anyways.

BTW, you might get better feedback if you didn't bark at every opinion people gave.