PDA

View Full Version : General Theory: Preflop & Flop Aggression

CrustyFace
11-24-2006, 11:30 AM
As requested by 55555 in my previous General Theory thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8159061&an=0&page=0#Post 8159061), i thought i'd elaborate on what i have learned preflop and on the flop.

<u>Come In For A Raise Most Of The Time</u>
My style of poker at the micros is to take down lots and lots of small pots preflop and on the flop. The way i do this is by raising, raising and more raising. The advantages of this style is that you make the donks believe that you have a better hand than them and you don't get raked alot because you don't see alot of huge pots.

I always raise to 4BB, unless it has been raised already in which case i come in for around 3 times his raise. I will only do this with very strong hands unless it is a pathetic raise (less than 4BB).

What about position? Well, as with all this information, it is scenario and position dependant. I won't play like this against a manic table, but most tables i can take control of and get them to be tight. I also won't play stupidly out of position. I make most of my moves in the last 3 positions but i also open up in earlier and earlier positions depending on the people after me. I will raise with AJo from UTG+2 for example if i think that i won't get raised.

If i do get re/raised and i am out out of position i will often shut down, but at these limits people don't like my 4BB raise and i often won't even get called. In position i will reraise with alot of solid hands and raise the blinds with even more.

I have numerous HHs for hands taken down either on or before the flop, the better examples have been where i have raised into 5 limpers in position and they have all folded. It just leaves me wondering what the hell they are limping with. My old style of play would have meant i call those limpers and probably get tangled up in some nasty family pot. I don't know about you but i dont want to do that without having an extremely good draw or made hand. I don't have that most of the time, so i'll have the limps.

<u>Continuation Betting</u>
This means that i am going to continuation bet the flop 95% of the time regardless of what i hold and what is on the board when i have been the last raiser. For example, from last night:

|--------------------------------

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.70
UTG+1: $28.60
Crustyface: $42.05
MP2: $26.30
CO: $20.90
Button: $26.30
SB: $22.45
BB: $4.75

Pre-flop: (8 players) Crustyface is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface raises to $1</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3.25, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $2</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $2 returned to Crustyface.

Results:
Final pot: $3.25

Full Tilt Poker
9 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $44.10
Crustyface: $53.90
MP1: $14.95
MP2: $27
MP3: $25
CO: $5.10
Button: $19.50
SB: $28.15
BB: $20.60

Pre-flop: (9 players) Crustyface is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface raises to $1</font>, 4 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $1.5</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $1.5 returned to Crustyface.

Results:
Final pot: $2.35

Full Tilt Poker
9 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $51.85
UTG+1: $24.50
MP1: $13.25
MP2: $26.65
MP3: $2.95
CO: $24.20
Crustyface: $36.40
SB: $26.25
BB: $13.05

Pre-flop: (9 players) Crustyface is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $0.5</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface raises to $1</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($3.25, 3 players)
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $2</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $2 returned to Crustyface.

Results:
Final pot: $3.25

I find that betting around 2/3 or 3/4 the pot on the flop is the right amount to discover where you are at. I find that i take down alot of pots with that amount. I will continuation bet into a raise some of the time, it depends whether i think the board helped my opponent.

<u>The Blinds</u>

I am very tight from the blinds, simple as that. I rarely complete in the SB just to see a flop and when i do i promise myself that unless the situation is really good, i will fold and not get tempted to play. A big weakness of a typical player at alot of levels is to call the SB and it costs so much money. People say that it's only a half bet, but i bet they don't consider the times they get involved in a pot and it costs them a few $$.

I will only call a raise from the BB when it is from very late position, this often indicates a steal attempt and if i think my hand is likely better i will call, or maybe even raise. It is not unlikely that a steal attempt from the Button will close down if you reraise and then cbet. I do think you have to have AQs or better to make this move though.

<u>The Turn and Onwards</u>
As the title suggests this article won't cover this area of the game, but i would like to say that if you feel you have control of the betting you can sometimes make this play:

Full Tilt Poker
9 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $16.95
UTG+1: $24.15
Crustyface: $30.85
MP2: $15.15
MP3: $41.25
CO: $11.30
Button: $12.80
SB: $24.40
BB: $11.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Crustyface is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface raises to $1</font>, MP2 calls, 5 folds.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $1.75</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($5.85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $4</font>, MP2 calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($13.85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface is all-in $24.1</font>, MP2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $24.1 returned to Crustyface.

Results:
Final pot: $13.85

The reason i made this play was based solely on the fact that he was hesitant at calling my flop and turn bets, so i know he didnt have the K, but ofcourse "i did".

I hope this little article is useful to some of you,

Cheers,

CrustyFace

Caveat: This has worked solidly for me at 25NL and 50NL on Full Tilt Poker. It may not work elsewhere depending on opponent strength.

DeathbySuckout
11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Good post. Just a couple things I would like to comment on.

[ QUOTE ]
<u>Continuation Betting</u>
This means that i am going to continuation bet the flop 95% of the time regardless of what i hold and what is on the board when i have been the last raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, as long as there is only one caller to your PF raise. I think that if you have mutiple people seeing the flop after your PF raise, your cbet % should be far less.

[ QUOTE ]

<u>The Turn and Onwards</u>
As the title suggests this article won't cover this area of the game, but i would like to say that if you feel you have control of the betting you can sometimes make this play:

Full Tilt Poker
9 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $16.95
UTG+1: $24.15
Crustyface: $30.85
MP2: $15.15
MP3: $41.25
CO: $11.30
Button: $12.80
SB: $24.40
BB: $11.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Crustyface is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Crustyface raises to $1</font>, MP2 calls, 5 folds.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $1.75</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($5.85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface bets $4</font>, MP2 calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($13.85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Crustyface is all-in $24.1</font>, MP2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $24.1 returned to Crustyface.

Results:
Final pot: $13.85

The reason i made this play was based solely on the fact that he was hesitant at calling my flop and turn bets, so i know he didnt have the K, but ofcourse "i did".

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to stress to people reading this that this hand is VERY read dependant, and not standard. You have to know that villain is folding this river before you put your entire stack on the line for a bluff.

CrustyFace
11-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree with both your points. Maybe i should have stressed them more in my OP.

Thanks,