PDA

View Full Version : A Question about odds.

VorShot
11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
We all know that if you have the right odds, you can call looking to hit a draw. What i don't understand is the thinking behing some of it.

Example.

The Pot is already $10 on the flop. You pick up the nut flush draw with a hand like A/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif on a flop of;

2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

You overbet the pot for $20. (Making the pot $30.)
villian pushes all in, calling the $20 and pushing another $40 left to call. (Pot is $90)
villian flips over pocket twos. (Only for this example so we know what he is holding)
We still have to call knowing that we are getting better then 2:1 on a 2:1 draw.

But the only way we got there is because of our bet.

Had we led only with a pot size bet, his all in would have priced us out.

My question is, how is it we can count the money we bet, as money we can win back knowing that using that, we could give ourselves odds?

Pomtidom
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
You have to look at THIS moment, not what happened before.

Betting $20 in a $10 pot is obviously a mistake when we are most likely behind and we will only be called by hands that beat us.

But when we've already bet that $20, we have to forget about that mistake and only concentrate on the decision that's now to be made. So, whether we made a mistake by overbetting the pot is irrelevant. All that matters is the odds that we're getting now.

Sir Winalot
11-24-2006, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to look at THIS moment, not what happened before.

[/ QUOTE ]

DeathbySuckout
11-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't understand why you are over betting the pot on the flop. Are you doing this just so that you give yourself odds to call a push? If so this is a HUGE mistake.

VorShot
11-24-2006, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you are over betting the pot on the flop. Are you doing this just so that you give yourself odds to call a push? If so this is a HUGE mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a real hand. It's simply the example used to illustrate my point.

DeathbySuckout
11-24-2006, 12:13 PM
No, I understand that. I just wanted to make sure that you're not regularly over betting the flops to give yourself odds.