PDA

View Full Version : 50NL Hero hates his AK

Hail Eris
11-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Villain is really aggro postflop and loves to build huge pots. Likes to minraise and limp-call pre, and seems pretty bad overall. I haven't seem him 3bet pf before this hand.

In an earlier hand, I folded KK on a JJxx board when he minraised flop and potted turn, though I didn't have any reads at the time.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($133)
Button ($48.20)
SB ($50.25)
BB ($93.60)
UTG ($55.20)
Hero ($86.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($10.25) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($30.25) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $27.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $57.75

Big Poppa Smurf
11-22-2006, 04:19 AM
i wouldn't want to fold tp here against a villain you classify as "pretty bad overall" and "aggro postflop" and as "liking to build big pots"

having said that the q is a crappy turn card, so either fold here or decide to call the river as well pretty much regardless of what it is

Sir Winalot
11-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Against this guy I shove flop.

Thrahl
11-22-2006, 04:42 AM
lead the flop. If raised be happy to get it all in here vs this villain. As played, thats an ugly Turn card now your losing to KQ and QQ, fold I guess.

eigenvalue
11-22-2006, 06:09 AM
That's what I would do, too.

elgatoesme
11-22-2006, 06:52 AM
I don't know the 25NL aggro types but at 2 and 5 there are definitely two kinds. Those who fold to agression with marginal hands and those whose respond with more agression when you come over their bluff. I would definitely shove against the latter but probably wait and see against the former.

I am talking about the flop bet. But with the flush draw, maybe the shove is best against both?

simuk
11-22-2006, 07:02 AM
You should definitely have shoved the flop. Or at least put in a substantial reraise. As played, you can get ur money in better waiting for another spot against this guy.

MortenTA
11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
dont call flop. Your hand is good but fragile. Either check raise or lead flop.

I like a check raise/shove because of your read on him.

pdoran10
11-22-2006, 08:05 AM
absolutely shove or put in a large raise on the flop here. If he out flopped you, so be it, but your not gonna be able to put him on a hand yet very easy so shove TPTK all day here.

lacrymosa
11-22-2006, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against this guy I shove flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

munkey
11-22-2006, 08:47 AM
In general I fold AKo preflop to a 3bet unless in positon and vs. light 3bettor.

I'm in two minds.

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't seem him 3bet pf before this hand.
Likes to minraise and limp-call pre

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say he has never 3bet you preflop yet then I may dump this preflop -&gt; his RRz range is likely QQ+/AK dominating us.

On the other hand if he minraises you preflop alot I'm calling flop then leading turn.

MortenTA
11-22-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand if he minraises you preflop alot I'm calling flop then leading turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could explain your thought proces behind the "call flop, lead turn" line?

Why is this better than c/r flop?

gdsdiscgolfer
11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should definitely have shoved the flop. Or at least put in a substantial reraise. As played, you can get ur money in better waiting for another spot against this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means nothing.

munkey
11-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Morten

We dont beat much on that turn -if we check aggro man will pot it and we don't know where we stand. If we lead and he raises then we were probably dead and hero has AA/set. If he he calls then we can somewhat set the river price for a showdown. This line allows us to escape on the turn and save some of our 170bbs.

Note I probably would have folded preflop-so wouldn't be in this situation. If I wanted to get it AI on the flop/turn then I would c/r flop like you suggest - I prefer to get AI when I have an idea of where I stand. If you mean c/r flop then shutdown I might do that.

The thing that concerns me is that he hasn't 3bet before, asuming this is over a decent number of hands.

DealMeInPlz
11-22-2006, 09:36 AM
First off, Villain's 3-bet preflop is very weak and not even close to the pot size. The nice part of this is that by 4 betting him with a solid pot sized bet to about $17, you find out immediately where he's at and will make it extremely difficult for him to call or reraise you again without an absolute monster. Secondly, checking the flop is fine if you're near certain an aggro player is going to bet his hand and you plan a check-raise, but to flat call, doesn't do anything to define your hand and to show strength, and you should be looking to take this pot down NOW. Now the turn comes and you check yet again. The problem with this kind of tight/passive style is that you beg the aggro. player for action and then don't give him any and then give these opponents the wrong reasons to be betting at you by thinking that they may be best, when maybe they're not, and you're folding hands that are ahead because you think villains best. Versus a player like villain, 4 bet this guy preflop vs his weak 3 bet. Come out firing on the flop, but if you're gonna check, you have to do it with near certainty that he'll bet and you'll put in a healthy check-raise. At least if you're going to call, you MUST lead the turn. These lines of play should certainly dissuade any myths he may have about a lesser hand. The problem with this hand more than anything, is the weak/passive style with which it was played. Don't be afraid to bet at these guys, especially with your very strong hands. /images/graemlins/grin.gif