View Full Version : 50NL: Standard JJ?

blackize
11-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Villain is 15/6/.8 over 80 hands

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21
UTG+1: $25.60
Hero: $54
Button: $49.75
SB: $57.20
BB: $47

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $7</font>, 3 folds, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $5 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $5.25

LMAO
11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
wtf. No! think ...implied odds...set... stack.

edit: um.. that was my first reaction, but i see you're a poo-bah, so i await comments/explanations from other more experience posters.

blackize
11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
My rule of thumb for trying to stack someone with a set is not to invest more than 10% of the effective stack size and typically I'm more conservative than that because of the great uncertainty in the ability to stack an opponent.

With this guy being such a nit and so passive postflop it should prove hard to win his stack. His 3betting range is probably something like QQ+ but I can't rule out TT or AK either. Then consider that the only flop I'm looking for doesn't contain a T, Q, K, or A and I think it might be a big stretch in trying to play this hand based on implied odds.

Looking for a little more feedback here. How is the thought process here?

Big Poppa Smurf
11-22-2006, 12:11 AM
it's $5 to call with about $10 in the pot and ~$43 effective stacks. so it's a little more than 10% of your stack.

i call here sometimes(and usally with any pair i would've opened)since sometimes you will win unimproved and when you spike a jack you can usually stack him, and sometimes you can push him off a better hand postflop if you feel like getting creative.

i wouldn't be surprised if i was wrong though. for example if he has queens and the flop is aj2, good luck stacking him ya know? so it's probably closer to being a fold then a call.

AliasMrJones
11-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Given villain's stats it looks like the best case scenario is AK. Looks unlikely that he's re-raising TT. My PFR is much higher than villain's and I'd flat call your raise in position. I think most of the time you're looking at AA/KK/QQ and are way behind.

Even with a card &gt;J there are pots you can take shots at, but it's going to cost you a lot to find out how he feels about his hand. If there's any postflop profit from this is looks pretty slim to me.

Jigsaws
11-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Good fold. You have to nit it up vs. nits.

11-22-2006, 01:00 AM
fold

Marshall28
11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
you have to call off 5 bucks to win 51. therefore you are getting 10-1 implied odds. you are 8-1 to hit a set and stack him.

easy call.

Longy
11-22-2006, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you have to call off 5 bucks to win 51. therefore you are getting 10-1 implied odds. you are 8-1 to hit a set and stack him.

easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

All very well and good, but you don't stack him every time and its not even close.

I like the fold though its close.

Tjorriemorrie
11-22-2006, 02:38 AM
@marshall

I don't find that so easy. If you have to put $7 into the pot everytime to find out if you hit a set for 7 times, that's $49.

Assuming you hit the 8th time then you may not get the pot to 51. Too close for my comfort.

I personally don't like to see if I hit a set with reraises preflop. The villian can easily have QQ-AA. What I mean is he has the same chance to hit a higher set. That'll be a big loss if you also hit your set...

Coz he reraised I like the fold.

LMAO
11-22-2006, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My rule of thumb for trying to stack someone with a set is not to invest more than 10% of the effective stack size and typically I'm more conservative than that because of the great uncertainty in the ability to stack an opponent.

With this guy being such a nit and so passive postflop it should prove hard to win his stack. His 3betting range is probably something like QQ+ but I can't rule out TT or AK either. Then consider that the only flop I'm looking for doesn't contain a T, Q, K, or A and I think it might be a big stretch in trying to play this hand based on implied odds.

Looking for a little more feedback here. How is the thought process here?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok... i understand. nh

Sir Winalot
11-22-2006, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf. No! think ...implied odds...set... stack.

edit: um.. that was my first reaction, but i see you're a poo-bah, so i await comments/explanations from other more experience posters.

[/ QUOTE ]
poo-baah /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Right, I think it's pretty close, but against this guy I would usually fold, we're flipping at best against his range and I'd like to have deeper stacks for this.