PDA

View Full Version : What to do with AA in this spot?

tacoshooter
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Man, this one has been bothering me since my last brief B&M visit; I'll throw it on the collective minds of the forum to abuse me.

Game is 3/6 kill, this is currently a kill pot. I'm UTG and see aces and make it 12. Two folds, the LAG with the kill makes it 18 and gets a caller. Folded to SB, who calls the 18.

I've played quite a bit with SB and know him to be tight and weak preflop and more aggressive postflop. I'm putting him pretty squarely on AQs, AKs, QQ and JJ at this point; I figure he folds most anything else and raises AA and KK.

I cap it and all four come along. Flop is:

72Q rainbow

SB immediately bets, I raise, the other two players grumble and fold and SB fires out three bets.

Now I'm sitting there thinking the only possibilities for SB are AQ, QQ or the off chance of a passively played KK or the other AA.

How should I continue with this hand? The pot is big but I'm feeling a bit uneasy.

My line, following discussion ...

spiderbuck
01-02-2006, 10:31 PM
KK could be played back at you this way, along with AA. The most obvious is QQ, and that's the only one to be worried about. It seems you are looking for a reason to lay it down, when, other than QQ or possibly 77, you are in great shape. If you really think you are behind, I'd call it down and be willing to lose to those two hands, but don't give it up as it could easily be KK or the other AA. I hate to sound like someone that can't fold AA, but with a large pot, there are too many possibilities that you are still ahead in the hand. Losing to the set of Queens is not as bad a play as you are probably thinking given the size of the pot. I would not give it away. There's also a very good chance he's trying to bully the large kill pot especially if against someone he knows well that would put him on a big hand.

Harv72b
01-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Is there a four bet cap? If so, I'd definitely make it four on the flop and then go into calldown mode unimproved if he keeps firing on the turn. If four bets isn't the cap...probably make it four and call down if 5-bet, but I wouldn't be too happy about doing it.