PDA

View Full Version : QJs picks up a pair on the turn, block river?

BombayBadboy
11-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.45
Hero: $51.45
CO: $46.25
Button: $44.70
SB: $53.40
BB: $44.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls, 3 folds.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($4.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.2</font>, CO calls.

Turn: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($11.15, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $5</font>, Hero calls.

River: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($21.15, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $10</font>

Villain is unknown. Once he called my flopbet I probably should have bet the turn. I put him on something like AT, KT, or a draw.

I decided to halfpot the river so I don't have to face a potsized riverbluff.

I'm really unsure if I played this hand correctly, so I'd appreciate any advice.

RollTide77
11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Like you said, I wouldn't have called the turn. I probably would have raised. By betting on the flop with nothing you didn't give him a chance to tell you if he had something. Here he could have TX like you said or he could have 67 and be chasing a straight or maybe even a set (slim chance). He could even have diamonds in that 67 and now be looking for a flush. I would have probably raised on the turn. You've got top pair but you need to find out how good his hand really is so you aren't left with a big guess on the river. So if he raises again (or even calls) you can get an idea of what he really has and you're not out any more money than what you put down on the river when you really weren't sure what he had.

Antinome
11-21-2006, 01:34 PM
This isn't horrible.

I prefer to lead turn for 7.50 and fold to a raise.

river block is fine, and may fold better hands.