PDA

View Full Version : I flop flushdraw, against someone who won´t fold top pair

essence86
11-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi!

This situation seems to happen to me a lot.
I flop a flushdraw, not necessarily the nut-flush-draw.

I am heads-up against another player who I feel has the top pair with a medium kicker. Like K8 on a flop of 5-4-K.

Say I have QJ of hearts, and the flop is two hearts.
Now, I am OOP, and checks, and he bets the pot. he bets 0,5$ into a 0,5$ pot.

I get 2:1 in pot odds, and need 4:1. But I assume I should call here anyway?

And, if the flush hits, he will probably check and not pay me off. At least not any big bets.

If I re-raise the flop, he will call. (And he might check the turn, giving me a free card).
But how should I play this hand?
If I simply call the flop, I will probably face a pot-sized-bet on the turn again. :/

Sir Winalot
11-21-2006, 01:31 PM
If you're sure he won't pay you if you hit, then it's pretty obvious you should fold. Luckily with our average donk, this isn't the case. I would usually call and see what happens.

Waingro
11-21-2006, 01:44 PM
This question is a lot easier to answer with stacks and pf action, but folding is a pretty good option. Check-calling a pot-sized bet with a non-nut flushdraw oop is not where the big money is. I think this would be my default action if I happen to be in this spot.

The whole dynamic of the hand changes if you raise pf and just make your standard cb on the flop.

GtrHtr
11-21-2006, 05:33 PM
the odds to a flush draw on the flop is better than 3:1, not 4:1. Plus you have to include implied odds which are less being oop, which is why you generally shouldn't get involved with suited cards oop - you rarely get any value when you hit.

fold pf.

Pro Zaxer
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the odds to a flush draw on the flop is better than 3:1, not 4:1. Plus you have to include implied odds which are less being oop, which is why you generally shouldn't get involved with suited cards oop - you rarely get any value when you hit.

fold pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is saying the pot size bet on the flop offers him 2:1 and his odds of hitting a flush on the turn 38:9 or about 4:1 current drawing odds. You're right of course that its a matter of implied odds and being OOP with suited cards hurts because of this.

Check_The_Nuts
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I'd bet the flop then, probably 2/3 pot. better?

Vammakala
11-21-2006, 07:08 PM
You don't have to chase every draw you get. And good rule of thumb is that straightdraws have bigger implied odds than flushdraws.

And action really does contribute to this. You can CR or CF, or lead. I don't like check-calling pot as it's hard to get more value for it.

One thing is true though, say you hit the turn and check again and he checks behind - he's quite likely to pay off a valuebet on the river. You just have to size it correctly (at least twice the bet you called on flop) to make it +EV.