PDA

View Full Version : 50nl Common spot with AK

Hail Eris
11-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Villain's actually a huge donk, though I didn't know this at the time. This is probably super standard, but I'm never quite sure what to do here.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($89.10)
Button ($28.20)
SB ($55.30)
Hero ($63.50)
UTG ($7.90)
MP ($36.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, MP folds, CO calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, CO calls $10.

Turn: ($34.75) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Do I check here because betting turns my cards face up, or do I bet because a card could come on the river that kills my action or my hand?

tehDiceman
11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
i believe i would bet about 30, if he calls or raises, it is an easy fold or check/fold on the river. i have scared tons of people off of hands once the flush came out, although i've also lost a lot of money.

your reraise preflop represents a big hand, your cbet on the flop could represent diamonds with you holding one or two of the bigger ones(with the fact that 2 and 4 are on the board), you make one more big bet when the flush does come out, he will have a tough time calling unless he holds the king of diamonds or made his flush. plus if he was on straight draw, or made his straight, he might fold because of the possible flush and your aggro approach.

DanJ.
11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
I would continue betting for protection, it would suck if you both checked behind and river was a dime.

the machine
11-21-2006, 01:02 AM
i think betting is the worst thing to do here. our hand has showdown value and we are not deep enough to make a strong enough bet to allow us to get away from the hand should he raise. do you guys really think youre gonna bet 30 on turn and fold for 16.5 more if he pushes?????!?!?!?!?!?! i want showdown as cheap as possible. im only betting if i think i can get him to fold at this point

Hail Eris
11-21-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm really more worried about getting value out of mid-high PPs than I am about being behind to a flush, especially with the Ad on the board. I'm typically willing to stack off here against 50nl unknowns.

kolotoure
11-21-2006, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe i would bet about 30, if he calls or raises, it is an easy fold or check/fold on the river. i have scared tons of people off of hands once the flush came out, although i've also lost a lot of money.

your reraise preflop represents a big hand, your cbet on the flop could represent diamonds with you holding one or two of the bigger ones(with the fact that 2 and 4 are on the board), you make one more big bet when the flush does come out, he will have a tough time calling unless he holds the king of diamonds or made his flush. plus if he was on straight draw, or made his straight, he might fold because of the possible flush and your aggro approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make a decent sized turn bet there is no way you can fold to a raise

the machine
11-21-2006, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really more worried about getting value out of mid-high PPs than I am about being behind to a flush, especially with the Ad on the board. I'm typically willing to stack off here against 50nl unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

but do you think you will get much value out of 10 10 if we lead this ace on the turn?

tehDiceman
11-21-2006, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know about you but my fold button never goes away. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

however, i realize the negative side of actually folding to a reraise since you have the "odds" betting wise, however, i also see that all you have it TPTK with a flush out that just reraised me all in, plus im shorter than the villian in this case. i perhaps would fold and then recover the money from a better position. i think calling a raise to all in with the fairly apparent lesser hand in this case is just trying to say you have the balls to blow your bankroll. raise or fold is my typical thought, calling is no good unless you know you are ahead.

my skewed way of thinking i guess.

i also understand the cheap showdown aspect, but if the villian hit his flush and will bet or is going to bluff at you(to which you will most likely fold, possibly with the best hand.), you might as well jump the gun and represent strength to him and perhaps get him to fold a weak flush or a smaller hand. poker is not only about the cards, it is partly a mental game as well. if he thinks you have it, he will fold.

perhaps my thinking also comes from not playing this high on the ladder yet.

lacrymosa
11-21-2006, 01:33 AM
I bet $20 and if he calls I shut down.

the machine
11-21-2006, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know about you but my fold button never goes away. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

however, i realize the negative side of actually folding to a reraise since you have the "odds" betting wise, however, i also see that all you have it TPTK with a flush out that just reraised me all in, plus im shorter than the villian in this case. i perhaps would fold and then recover the money from a better position. i think calling a raise to all in with the fairly apparent lesser hand in this case is just trying to say you have the balls to blow your bankroll. raise or fold is my typical thought, calling is no good unless you know you are ahead.

my skewed way of thinking i guess.

i also understand the cheap showdown aspect, but if the villian hit his flush and will bet or is going to bluff at you(to which you will most likely fold, possibly with the best hand.), you might as well jump the gun and represent strength to him and perhaps get him to fold. poker is not only about the cards, it is partly a mental game as well. if he thinks you have it, he will fold.

perhaps my thinking also comes from not playing this high on the ladder yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you ever fold 16.5 into 112$ with TPTK i will come to your house and and "hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you are a retard".

thats why betting the turn sucks because we cant fold. and if your fold button doesnt go away in situations like this then you should contact support for the site you play at. let them know to remove fold button when you have tptk and are getting 9:1 on your money

Hail Eris
11-21-2006, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but do you think you will get much value out of 10 10 if we lead this ace on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can get value out of some paired cards containing a diamond. But if I can also get value from those hands plus some others on the river after checking through the turn, then checking is obviously better.

In fact, another advantage that checking has is that many 50nl villains see that scare card and start trying to bluff me off of my "obvious" QQ-KK with their smaller pairs. I've caught people shoving this turn with a mid pair more than once.

My standard line is to c/rai here, and vbet a brick river if he checks behind. I just want to puke when the turn gets checked through and a diamond falls, so it makes me wonder if there's any merit to betting. I guess there probably isn't.

the machine
11-21-2006, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can get value out of some paired cards containing a diamond. But if I can also get value from those hands plus some others on the river after checking through the turn, then checking is obviously better.

In fact, another advantage that checking has is that many 50nl villains see that scare card and start trying to bluff me off of my "obvious" QQ-KK with their smaller pairs. I've caught people shoving this turn with a mid pair more than once.

My standard line is to c/rai here, and vbet a brick river if he checks behind. I just want to puke when the turn gets checked through and a diamond falls, so it makes me wonder if there's any merit to betting. I guess there probably isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah id def rather see a cr/ai here then a bet