PDA

View Full Version : QJs (25 NL)

hero
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
New to nl & the table. preflop is very much in question, im thinking it was too early but i like my hand if it gets multiway, cont bet size? is this standard?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($50.60)
BB ($20.05)
UTG ($23)
Hero ($41.10)
MP1 ($44.10)
MP2 ($21.90)
CO ($5.35)
Button ($24.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.85) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.25 ?

Vammakala
11-20-2006, 11:24 PM
It definitely was too early. And I like 4 BB open more than 5 BB. As for flop, it's heads up, I see no reason to overbet. Bet $2.25. Generally ranging from half the pot to pot. Or can you give a specific reasoning for betting over the pot. All that it achieves here IMO is getting worse hands to fold and betters to call or raise - either way, you're missing out on value. Players at these levels might call with a weaker J or a flushdraw without odds, but I think that you can get the value out of those hands anyway.

Overbetting in marginal situations doesn't exactly seem like an option that'd be good too often. Doesn't really achieve much but can cost a lot.

Snafu'd
11-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Preflop can be okay in certain scenarios. I agree that the flop bet is much too large.

hero
11-20-2006, 11:41 PM
thanks for the replies, i figured it was a bit of an overbet but i was oop and didnt really know what he'd coldcall pf with

WorkInProgress
11-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Raise is fine, though I might not raise it there everytime. Probably won't open limp, so I might fold it depending on table. I think arguing over 4BB vs. 5BB is silly. Doesn't make that much of a difference.

As for flop, I think it's fine to vary it a bit. Sometimes I'll bet 2 there, sometimes I'll bet 3. I prolly won't bet 3.25, not cause of extra, but cause i'm lazy to type out .25 more. I dont think it was a serious overbet for 2.85 pot. 4 or 5 would be overbetting it.

Minnie Man
11-21-2006, 12:02 AM
That is not a hand to open raise with UTG in a full ring, unless the table is extremely passive and you have been ruling the table. Only rarely. IP is fine for a raise or a call. The overbet on the flop will normally take it down, unless you are beat. Bet the pot or slightly less to not give odds to draws. If he calls, you may have a question as to whether your kicker is good enough. Play position with these hands!

the machine
11-21-2006, 01:41 AM
way OOP at full ring to raise this hand up. and we dont want this hand multiway. small SC's are ok multiway but not broadway connectors. too many other people will have broadway cards and we will be in serious trouble should we both connect since w will most likely be outkicked on any pair. hte flop is a good cbet though. very standard