PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - what the hell this guy is doing?

Avocado
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
This was one of my first hands in the table, so no reads. I totally hate min-raisers. What kind of play is minraise + reraise pf + c/c on the flop??? I think he has a monster here and don't know what to do with it... Any thoughts about my play? thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

BB ($20.50)
UTG ($25)
MP ($18.30)
Hero ($24.25)
Button ($25.35)
SB ($12.60)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.60) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP calls $3.

Turn: ($11.60) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $18.60

Waingro
11-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I donīt know about monster but he probably has you beat. Fold and move on. And plz donīt miniraise, either bump it up to $2.5 or call.

Vammakala
11-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Dunno about preflop but looks like he hit the jackpot here. When people reraise preflop and suddendly shut down on flop, that's usually either weakness or a lot of strength. I guess I'd bet the flop too, but if i was going to, i wouldn't bet $3, more like $4.5 or check behind.

I guess this line would be fine with a marginal top pair type of hand to keep the pot reasonable, but i doubt short-stack like your opponent would be capable of such reasoning (Yea, short-stacks are mostly donks). He's playing overpair or QQ the funky, girly way. Or he reads your weak bet on flop as a bluff and floats OOP.

My line would probably be more along the lines of checking behind on flop and seeing what happens on turn. Reraise is generally AK or QQ+ (sometimes JJ+) on this level, so most of the time you're playing for set value here. People think that they won't "lose customers" with big pairs when they just minraise, when all they achieve is giving good odds for their opponents to be outdrawn.

orange
11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
RR harder PF if your raising. I would make it $2 or so.

I think you played it fine postflop. Sometimes he'll have a strangely played AK or maybe JJ and fold the flop. Checking is also another option. Turn fold is standard.

michaelantoi
11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
seems like QQ waiting for reraise.

a check is safe on the flop if he hit a set.

You played it fine.

Snafu'd
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RR harder PF if your raising. I would make it $2 or so.

I think you played it fine postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vammakala
11-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Haha, I somehow managed to miss the initial minraise and thought hero opened for 4 BB, but when he puts in a third raise, I think you can fairly confidently check the flop behind. Betting probably isn't horrible either, but I'd be more inclined to check.

WorkInProgress
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
You're probably beat. Fold turn. Otherise, raise PF more like everyone said.

akkahai
11-21-2006, 05:54 AM
*grunch*

[ QUOTE ]
I totally hate min-raisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You hate minraisers and then punish them by.. minraising yourself? (well ok not technically a minraise but certainly a very small raise in this spot)

Raise to something like $2 - $2.5 PF. If he raises you over top of that, well, its a fold or a call in my opinion, call for set value if you get the right odds depending on the size of his raise.

As played, I dont know if I would bet this flop. His check could be anything as he is unknown. You have showdown value so you dont have to bluff at it. If you check behind you can see what he does on the turn. Bet a little more on the flop if you bet, $4-$5.

If he bets turn when you have bet the flop, its a fold. If you had checked the flop, you could call the turn bet (if its a safe card) and see what he does on the river.