PDA

View Full Version : 50NL FR - AA faces turn raise

Setof8s
11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Unknown player. I keep getting stacked by sets with overpairs when facing heat. Got to lay this down don't I? Or do I call turn and call a small/medium river bet and hope for AK?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($56.20)
CO ($15.05)
Button ($76.25)
SB ($41.25)
BB ($48.20)
UTG ($32.90)
UTG+1 ($49.50)
MP1 ($24.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB calls $3.

Turn: ($10.25) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $14.5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $30.75

xGREGORx
11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
depends on reads of villian for me... if he is not very aggressive, then I lay it down pretty quick; otherwise, I call and evaluate the river based on villian's actions and bet size

martijn
11-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I think you should bet more on the turn, like 7.5-9, maybe he saw your smallish turn bet as a sign of weakness.

as played, I call this bet, and re-evaluate the river. I fold to a pot sized bet then.

Waingro
11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Wait, so you put him on exactly 33 with an outside chance of AK? I think that range is pretty narrow to say the least. Call turn and I would call any bet on the river unless it is a club and he shoves. If he checks, valuebet yourself. I think Kx is a pretty big part of his range and he seems pretty happy to bet it for you so let him.

Sir Winalot
11-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I suck at fullring but I'd probably call and evaluate river.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-20-2006, 03:10 PM
against an unknown you have to call here and call a reasonable river bet

ChipStorm
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM
If you're getting blasted with your overpairs, then this is the easiest turn checkthrough in the world. Play it small.

But I wouldn't. I probably take your line, and vs. an unknown I'm folding to the turn raise too. No draws came in. Villain c/c flop and c/r turn. He has a 6 or better.

robinmbuk
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
What looks suspicious where is the way he check raises when the board pairs, like he could be trying to bluff and represent trip sixes, but this is an unlikely hand unless he's a complete calling station and would call the flop with any 6.

If he had a set on the flop he really should have raised then in case you were betting a hand like A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, but I guess not many donks think this way, always liking to wait till the turn to raise with a flopped set.

All in all, he is representing trips or a full house on the turn. If you belive him fold, if not call. Without reads I think it's a fold. This may be overcautious, but I too keep getting stacked with overpairs, to the point at which if I didn't let this happened my winnings so far at NL25 would be double what they actually are. Hands like the one you posted here are my biggest leak.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably take your line, and vs. an unknown I'm folding to the turn raise too. No draws came in. Villain c/c flop and c/r turn. He has a 6 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you never play a hand like ak/kq like villain does here, or maybe run a bluff here? i do sometimes

Waingro
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably take your line, and vs. an unknown I'm folding to the turn raise too. No draws came in. Villain c/c flop and c/r turn. He has a 6 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you never play a hand like ak/kq like villain does here, or maybe run a bluff here? i do sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]
More importantly, many villains like to "trap" with tp. I have seen it so many times and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I would never fold aces in this spot to a single raise. I guess there are spots to fold aces postflop, I donīt really know what they are. But this is certainly not one of them.

ChipStorm
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say never, but pretty close to it.

If I'm villain here and checkraising to bluff, it's more likely to be on the flop, to pick off the expected c-bet, and before the pot gets so large that my play is super-expensive and villain is less likely to fold.

With AK or KQ, I'm calling down; I don't think I'd ever c/r this turn. Hero bet flop and turn. From villain's perspective, Hero may be on a complete miss, but there's a good chance he has a solid made hand. So you're OOP and WA/WB, which is a great time to just c/c. If you checkraise here w/ AK/KQ, you get called by better hands and fold worse ones, ones that may give you more $$ on another street if you just call.

Edit: lol muddledlogicaments

wingchunflush
11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bet more on the turn, like 7.5-9, maybe he saw your smallish turn bet as a sign of weakness.

as played, I call this bet, and re-evaluate the river. I fold to a pot sized bet then.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pot is $4 something why would you bet $7.5-9. His bet was in relation to the size of the pot.

I call the raise and evaluate the river

Big Poppa Smurf
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With AK or KQ, I'm calling down; I don't think I'd ever c/r this turn. Hero bet flop and turn. From villain's perspective, Hero may be on a complete miss, but there's a good chance he has a solid made hand. So you're OOP and WA/WB, which is a great time to just c/c. If you checkraise here w/ AK/KQ, you get called by better hands and fold worse ones, ones that may give you more $$ on another street if you just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but most $50nl players aren't 2+2ers, and they don't necessarily think like this. also, checkraising ak/kq here (but more so ak) is fine against many donks who just think tp is the nuts and want to see a showdown