PDA

View Full Version : Winning at 7-8 BB/100 Hands, and never bluff?

essence86
11-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi!

All the time, people say "Never bluff at 25NL".
Basically never...
That leaves me with "just" having to play when I catch a hand. But that is not very often.

Can one win at 7-8 BB/100 Hands and never bluff?
To win at that high rate, musnīt I be picking up tons of pots where I DON`T have the best hand?

Because... Many games are quite nitty these days. So I donīt think hoping to get paid off huge on your good hands will be enough.

Hattifnatt
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I definitely think that high a winrate is impossible over a big sample without bluffing at all. The rake is also a HUGE factor at this limits.

Perk76
11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many games are quite nitty these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you might want to practice table selection skills or find a better site.

jonyy6788
11-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Raising preflop and C-betting=big $$$

This is technically bluffing sometimes, but it is where you make a lot of your money. The opposite can be said if you're playing calling staitons and you continually raise/bet with air.

homeslice
11-20-2006, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many games are quite nitty these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you might want to practice table selection skills!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Miraculix
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi.

What sites are you playing? I play at the Cryptos and itīs a bit tight sometimes. On the other hand, itīs not unusual to find everybody limp to you on the button and you take the dead money with a standard (4xBB + 1BB/limper) bet. If somebody calls you will take the pot with a c-bet 8 times out of 10 evan if you dont hit. But then again, it depends a bit on who youīre up against. This is basically the only "bluff" I make, but I can evetually take a stab at the pot if Iīm in position and a flushcard comes and nobody showed aggression.

// M

kabouter
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
of course you should raise preflop, and cbet, but I don't consider those to be real bluffs. On a side note I did win at 10nl yesterday by bluffing from the start to the river with T7o /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sir Winalot
11-20-2006, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising preflop and C-betting=big $$$

This is technically bluffing allways, but it is where you make a lot of your money.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

[ QUOTE ]

On a side note I did win at 10nl yesterday by bluffing from the start to the river with T7o /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Now this is exactly why smoking weed is illegal in everywhere but netherlands! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipStorm
11-20-2006, 12:20 PM
There are two reasons why bluffing is a good thing to avoid at uNL:

1. Your opponents are way too loose, which means you can't bluff 'em. So don't.

2. Players at this level generally bluff far too much. This is an ENORMOUS leak for many starting players. You can avoid this leak with a very simple patch: just don't bluff. When you gain more experience, you realize that that's a pretty gross patch, and you begin to pick your spots. But at the start, it's a fine rule to follow.

Like the rocket launcher in Doom, bluffing is a weapon to be used with experience, and great discretion, or you will blow yourself up far too much.

nyc999
11-20-2006, 12:22 PM
I think people are referring to pure bluffs. Moves such as c-betting, stealing blinds and semi-bluffing should definitely be incorporated into your game.

Ra_
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are referring to pure bluffs. Moves such as c-betting, stealing blinds and semi-bluffing should definitely be incorporated into your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly. I think when you here never bluff. they mean putting your oppent on a decent hand and then trying to represent a bigger hand and get them to fold. This is almost always a bad idea at NL25.

MattsTheMan
11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi, I see u are posting hands from FTP so I asume you are playing most on FTP. At the momment im running about 8PT/100 on FTP 0.10/0.25 over 10K hands and I have bluffed only once. So yeah u dont need to bluff.

Well if you count C-bets as bluffs or semi bluffs i have bluffed quite alot but we do not count that in :-)

But I Know what u mean some tables can be very tight Vpip 25 overall and thats just not any good table to play at. So table selection.

You have to adjust your play accordingly to how the table plays if they play tight play Loose Agressive and if they play Loose Play Tag. LAG style is not that easy to play as a beginner I would suggest to become a good TAG first and then go over to LAG as you progress.

One thing to keep in mind is that alot of players have alot of ego even TAG players and they dont like to get pushed around. So if you are playing at a tight table and they are limping alot around you just punish them by raising and take down small pots. After you have done that a couple of times I can promise you they will play back at you and then its just a matter of getting the money in middle of the table with a big hand.

EMc
11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Didnt you do this thread already.

Stop focusing on win rate and worry more about making the best decisions you can. Win rate will follow.