PDA

View Full Version : A8s, I call big bets down with this top pair, bad play?

essence86
11-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21.55
UTG+1: $39.45
CO: $20.55
Button: $29.15
SB: $55.90
Hero: $25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($6, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $6</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($18, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $16.5</font>, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: $51

Should I have raised the flop to find out where I am at?
He bet the turn heavily, but on the turn I had top pair with nutflush draw, donīt see how I can fold the turn, especially since he looks like he is willing to commit a lot of chips in this pot.

Hattifnatt
11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I prefer a check preflop, your hand can easy lead to trouble in raised pots in your bad position.

Postflop is fine indeed.

Sir Winalot
11-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I check behind preflop. Everything else I would do the same.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No - you - should - not! Stop thinking like this. In my opinion this thinking is absolutely flawed, pure bull[censored] and shouldn't be used by anyone, anywhere.

If I'm wrong then someone please enlighten me why.

Hattifnatt
11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No - you - should - not! Stop thinking like this. In my opinion this thinking is absolutely flawed, pure bull[censored] and shouldn't be used by anyone, anywhere.

If I'm wrong then someone please enlighten me why.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its often good times to raise to see where you are at, but this is definitely not a time to do so. Its basicly a WA/WB situation vs SB and he have position and a BD flush draw and people left to act that might wake up with a big hand.

Perk76
11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Aside from bloating the pot preflop OOP with a weak Ace, I think you were fine calling the flop and turn, and obviously getting it in on the river. I imagine you got berated for this one, and thats why your asking?

Change the hand slightly, and are you folding the river to a non 8, heart, ace?

maycj
11-20-2006, 11:46 AM
would you / should you call it down like this if you didnt have the flushdraw???

Hattifnatt
11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Change the hand slightly, and are you folding the river to a non 8, heart, ace?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fwiw I think this is a river fold to this bet even if the river is an ace.

Perk76
11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Me too, but just had to throw it in there.

Hattifnatt
11-20-2006, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would you / should you call it down like this if you didnt have the flushdraw???

[/ QUOTE ]
Without the BD flush draw on the flop I think its a fold but close. On the turn its def. a fold without the flush draw without a read.