PDA

View Full Version : $10 NL 6Max - Low Pair & Nut Flush Draw

Frosteater
11-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Ah .. the first hand to post. I assume this is a rather straightforward situation to most, still I think my game is horrible here and I could really need some input.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Frost ($9.60)
MP ($3.55)
CO ($8.15)
Button ($9.85)
SB ($5.25)
BB ($5.90)

Preflop: Frost is UTG with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Frost calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $0.3</font>, Frost calls $0.20, MP calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, SB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($1.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, Frost calls $0.50, MP folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($2.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.6</font>, Frost calls $0.60.

River: ($3.70) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Frost raises to $2</font>, BB calls $1.

Final Pot: $7.70

As I think about it, I didn't have any real reads on my opponents. But I figured most bets at this level / table are for value and represent hands that are really held. So I put my opponent on a single king or ten, something that had me beat at the moment but would fall behind if I'd hit one of my outs.

My problem with the way I played it is that I gave my opponent complete control in this pot. It worked out for me more or less, but I can't imagine this weak style to take me very far, still I find myself often in situations like this and I really feel there's something about the way I handle them that could use some improvement.

I have to add, if this were heads up I probably would have bet / raised my draw hoping to take down the pot immediately. In this case I just called because I assumed to be way behind anyway and getting paid off by everyone still in the hand if I hit one of my outs. This is of course no excuse for calling on the turn and I guess the biggest mistake is right here and I should have folded. But (mis)judging the size of his bet I thought every diamond, deuce or ace would give me the edge and it was worth a shot.

Any comments and suggestions on how to play hands like this would be highly appreciated.

lacrymosa
11-20-2006, 09:00 AM
I raise the river to $5

mbz111
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Flop: re-raise him, maybe to take it down at that point, maybe to get a free card when checked to you on turn

Turn: as played, he's giving you correct odds (4-1) to draw to your flush, so your call is fine.

River: don't min-raise, get some value for your hand. at these stakes, they usually pay off.

Sir Winalot
11-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Raise or fold preflop, open limping in 6-max = teh suck. I would fold. On the flop you have a monster (yes, monster). You have a pair and the nutflush draw = 5 zillion outs, Raise that [censored] up! On the turn you're getting decent odds so you can as well call IMO.

Lesson #1: Do NOT make minraises with the nuts on the river. I would make it 5-6.

Frosteater
11-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the input so far.

Yep, should have raised more on the river. I just couldn't stand myself at all at that point for presumably playing crappy and getting lucky with it. I know it's stupid, I'm working on it. Trying to limp wasn't the best move either and I'm fully aware of it. Normally I raise that [censored] up preflop, just like to throw limping in to the mix once in a while with the intention to fold to almost any bet on the flop. This is probably not the brightest idea, but I'm trying to make my preflop raises look more intimidating that way.

The reason I didn't raise on the flop was the fact that I was first to act after the bet. Since I had three opponents after me, which I thought to have beat if one of my outs hit, I wanted to look as weak as possible to keep pairs and drawing hands in the pot. If I understand you right, the case was that in this spot every weak hand would fold to the initial bet anyway while rather strong hands like TPTK, two pair or sets would call a raise here.

That brings me to a final question regarding this hand.
If I had re-raised preflop, would a call on the flop instead of a raise be correct, since it's more likely to have hands like AK or QJ still in the pot?

dedmoney
11-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Pre flop fold or raise
Flop raise
Turn call
River raise that [censored] up. I'd put it up to four.

gimmetheloot
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
OP: Fold preflop the first time....After its gotten back to you, you have to call the teaser raise, but you shouldnt even be in the hand. The flop is OK if you are hoping to get overcalls from people with weaker diamond draws and QJ. Heads up or 3 handed, you should raise it.

Turn, I would raise his weak ass bet and expect to take it down right there, with a ton of outs if I am behind.

River. Your minraise is weak sauce. You have the nuts, make some money with em. Bump it to 5 or so.

ImprovinNewbie
11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
welcome to 2p2. i fold this UTG preflop... i would wait til cutoff or button for a real crappy ace. the flop call is good. there are a lot of people behind you to bloat the pot. his turn bet is SUPER WEAK! raise here to 1.50 to take down the pot. raise much more than a mini raise with the nuts. he fired 3 bullets. you played it like you were on a flush draw but get paid for it. made it 3.50 at least.