PDA

View Full Version : Card Player magazine

mxer7734
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Just got my first issue of Card Player a few days ago and have been reading a little each day. I'm almost done with the whole thing, cover to cover and would like some opinions on the magazine as a whole. Mostly, how accurate are the strategies presented in some of the columns? Who are your favorite authors? Who don't you like? Etc.

shmoosh
02-01-2006, 11:42 PM
I've gotten alot out of the articles in CP. There are alot of good writers for the magazine, but I tend to like Roy Cooke's
columns, and Thomas Keller has written some really good ones lately as well.

LLKOOLK1
02-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I dont think the articles are all that valuable, but the magazine is defintly entertaining. The articles get you to think about certain situations, but dont delve all that deep(at least not compard to how most 2+2ers look at strategy) But either way the magizine will keep your interest and is worth the money just for the tournement reports, and Matros' column.
-LL

Lanzalot
02-02-2006, 12:17 PM
The quality of writing in CP now is much better than it was, say, ten or so years ago. The best columnists are Rolf Slotboom, Roy Cooke, Bob Ciaffone, Jim Brier, Thomas Keller and Matt Matros. Barry Tannenbaum's column is good for Low LH. Those columnists make the magazine worth it although I wouldn't read them alone in lieu of 2+2 authors. One question mxer: Why subscribe to the mag when you can get the articles for free from the website?

MicroBob
02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I have only read 2 or 3 of Keller's articles, but not of them impressed me at all.

A few years ago Sklansky and Malmuth wrote articles in cardplayer. The quality most certainly is not as good now.

Matros wrote a couple of pieces that really left me unimpressed as well (but I can't specifically recall)

mxer7734
02-02-2006, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One question mxer: Why subscribe to the mag when you can get the articles for free from the website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the convenience of having it to browse through instead of looking on the web everytime I want to read a specific article.

starvin-garvin
02-02-2006, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One question mxer: Why subscribe to the mag when you can get the articles for free from the website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the convenience of having it to browse through instead of looking on the web everytime I want to read a specific article.

[/ QUOTE ]

translation:

for when I'm on the can.

boscoboy
02-03-2006, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

translation:

for when I'm on the can.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice hand

Bill in FL
02-03-2006, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

translation:

for when I'm on the can.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you need a LAPTOP !

g3rkshz
02-03-2006, 11:57 AM
aren't the articles online as well?

bonuspokergod
02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I go straight to BT's column first. The best thing about Card Player right now IMO is their live coverage of the big events on the site, and most recently the new Circuit radio shows. Very entertaining and informative. Great guests so far. Raymer, DN, Greenstein, Moneymaker, etc. Give a listen if you haven't already. I would love to hear the 2 + 2 authors on the show someday /hint...hint...hint

[ QUOTE ]
Just got my first issue of Card Player a few days ago and have been reading a little each day. I'm almost done with the whole thing, cover to cover and would like some opinions on the magazine as a whole. Mostly, how accurate are the strategies presented in some of the columns? Who are your favorite authors? Who don't you like? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

MicroBob
02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
(disclaimer: All speculation since I know none of the involved parties personally)

Malmuth is pretty unlikely to appear on the show I would think since the CP editor said some not-so-flattering things about him (Mason stopped writing articles for CP at that point).

I would guess that Sklansky would be unlikely to appear as well (since he also stopped writing articles for CP). I'm thinking same for Ed Miller.

starvin-garvin
02-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe If they see one of them pass by at a tourney they'll ask them to come on the show? who knows...the Circuit seems pretty damn informal, and if it were to happen I doubt either side would be comtemplating wether or not they wanted to be on it...

Ed Miller
02-03-2006, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that Sklansky would be unlikely to appear as well (since he also stopped writing articles for CP). I'm thinking same for Ed Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done numerous radio interviews already (like the one here (http://talktotara.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10_7&products_id=39) for instance). I'll be happy to do them in the future, but I don't have much interested in doing a CardPlayer sponsored one.

tminus
02-07-2006, 11:59 PM
i found it to be more of a novelty item than anything else

the articles are usually written by HIGH stakes players while most readers are not playing at that level

SenecaJim
02-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I have no interest in Card Player mag. However, since it is free on the net, I do try and check out BT and RC's articles, but that's it. I own RP of Hands and if BT wrote a book with a competent publisher I believe it would be a good one.

VegasVixen
02-08-2006, 10:24 PM
I have subscribed to CP for about 2 years. I also own a collection of the last 6 years of the magazine. I find it extremely helpful, and different authors' prespectives on different situations are refreshing. When you read a book, 1 author is giving you a "how to", in the magazine, 3 different authors give you 3 different "how they woulds", and why...
I get the paper mag vs. reading online simply because I travel alot and its a great plane read /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shdw01
02-08-2006, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

translation:

for when I'm on the can.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you need a LAPTOP !

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of you here have played poker while on the can? I'll admit I've done it before...am I the only one? Hope no-one that uses my laptop ever reads this!