PDA

View Full Version : Playing online poker in Seattle

huskygirl02
11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I know Washington state is one of the states where online poker is specifically illegal. But I also know that people still play there. I currently live in Virginia and play here but I'm thinking about moving back to seattle and was just curious about the restrictions I will be facing? Any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

5thStreetHog
11-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I think i would just go about my business and play,if it is not a moral issue for you to disregard the law.Being caught and arrested for this would be like getting hit by lightning.It could happen,but they are not actively enforcing this law against players.A bigger concern would be that maybe your favorite site would be not an option for you.A few sites have stopped accepting players from Washington.I forget what sites they were,but you can find info on this by doing a search here im sure.

RcrdBoy
11-20-2006, 03:51 AM
Here are a few links for you to check out.

One (http://www.rgtonline.com/Article.cfm?ArticleId=65578&CategoryName=Gaming)

Two (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/271844_internetgambling27.html)

Three (http://www.therx.com/blog_washington-state-law-change-makes-online-poker-players-felons.php)

I don't think a lot of players are worried about the law.

govman6767
11-20-2006, 07:33 AM
From Washington Gambling Source

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Internet gambling currently is, and always has been,
illegal under Washington law. Online gambling is also
illegal under federal law (Federal Wire Wager Act (18
U.S.C. § 1084 (1994)).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Penalties and Enforcement.
Washington’s gambling statutes now provide a range of
gross misdemeanor and felony penalties for Internet
gambling violations, depending on the factual
circumstances. The actual punishment for an unranked
felony conviction is from zero days to one year in a
county jail (the same possible jail sentence as a gross
misdemeanor).
Enforcement will focus on larger, higher level Internet
gambling activities, such as gambling sites and service
providers. A gross misdemeanor was not much of a
deterrent to site operators and service providers that
process hundreds of thousands of dollars in bets.

The Most important thing you need to worry about is this ...

Quote:

As for players, gambling on the Internet, whether playing
poker, slots or another
gambling game, runs a risk of
a felony conviction.
However, there is not going
to be an active campaign
against regular players. . If
players’ names appear in an
operator’s seized records, the
Gambling Commission would
likely send the player a
warning letter, notifying them
that betting online is a felony.
If a player’s name reappears
again, charges may be filed.

What this says IMO is that WA State would have to sieze a Major Poker Sites Records.... (Stars, Tilt etc.... I do not think they would be given this access under any circumstances.)

Your name would have to be pulled from the records and if there was any money left in their EMPTY COFFERS they might come after you HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

There is zero percent chance of you getting busted IMO unless you would be dumb enough to try to play at a site located in the U.S.

MandM_WSU
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is zero percent chance of you getting busted IMO unless you would be dumb enough to try to play at a site located in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Just don't change your address with the poker room. Many sites like UB, no longer post where the player is from, anyway.

MM

ps. Nice win in the Apple Cup last weekend /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bantam222
11-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I made a similar topic just this week

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post8096493 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8096493&an=0&page=0#Post 8096493)

huskygirl02
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys are so helpful. I still haven't decided if I'm going to move back yet or not. Poker is my only source of income and obviously this is one of the biggest deciding factors. Thanks for all your help.

biendover
11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I live in Seattle and continue to play. However some poker affiliate websites, that had WA business address, receivedletters from the state where they were facing charges if they didn't take down their site. Since then those affiliates sold their website.

You have a .01% of getting in trouble.

Megenoita
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys are so helpful. I still haven't decided if I'm going to move back yet or not. Poker is my only source of income and obviously this is one of the biggest deciding factors. Thanks for all your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this information, I would definitely not move back. If you are in VA, you are not explicitly breaking the law. Many (including lawyers) would argue that you're definitely not breaking the law. However, in Washington, the fact is, you're a criminal. I mean, I know that sounds silly or ridiculous, but it's a fact. If poker is your main source of income, then it's important to you and I would encourage you to stay out of states where it's explicitly illegal. I really think it's best in the long run for a lot of reasons.

slavic
11-22-2006, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this information, I would definitely not move back. If you are in VA, you are not explicitly breaking the law. Many (including lawyers) would argue that you're definitely not breaking the law. However, in Washington, the fact is, you're a criminal. I mean, I know that sounds silly or ridiculous, but it's a fact. If poker is your main source of income, then it's important to you and I would encourage you to stay out of states where it's explicitly illegal. I really think it's best in the long run for a lot of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this comment. The fact is, it is illegal, and worse it is a felony. That is the type of thing that can ruin your opportunities for employment.

In my case I can make a decent living at poker, but I can make quite a lot more in the private sector applying the skills I have. If I were to pick up a felony conviction I could all but kiss that goodbuy. Even a risk of a fraction of a percent is just not reasonable considering the change in potential earnings.

If, someday online poker becomes legal I may take up play as a hobby. Otherwise, live play is legal in Washington.

DamitBob
11-22-2006, 02:06 AM
How can it be a fraction of 1% if NO ONE has been charged? That makes it ZERO percent. I know one puzzie that has quit in WA and about 50 that realize you have a better chance of getting a jaywalking ticket when crossing a street in a quiet subdivision. God i'm tired of puuzzies that are scared of their own shadow.

I have an email from the dyke that wrote the bill that says they will not prosecute players in WA.

govman6767
11-22-2006, 05:08 AM
Did you guys read my post I quoted the actual law...

You will not get in trouble period.

If some feds tried to break into an overseas company like stars or tilt etc 200 armed gunmen would shoot them down.