PDA

View Full Version : NL ($2) Standard for 6 max? Part 2...

Mr_Donktastic
11-19-2006, 03:59 PM
So I got home last night from the bar a little drunk and decided it was a good time to pop my 6 max cherry. I've played a lot of NL and done well, but all full ring.

I found myself playing quite different from my normal game and makign some strange plays, and I'm wondering if this is just part of playing short handed or if I'm overcompensating and playing too loose/aggro.

Converted by PokerGeek (http://pokergeek.com/cgi-bin/handconverter/convert.cgi)
Absolute NL Hold'em Ring - 2/2
Blinds (5 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 1: Big blind ($234.85)
Seat 2: UTG ($16.70)
Seat 3: CO ($43.60)
Seat 4: Button (Hero) ($212.90)
Seat 5: Small blind ($398)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero raises ($8), Small blind raises ($23), Big blind folds, Hero calls ($15)

(I'm calling mainly because I intend to steal this pot, but also because my hand isn't that bad)

Flop: ($48) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Small blind bets ($31), Hero raises ($90)

General Q is: How often, if ever, do you attempt to pick off a c-bet from a preflop restealer like this? It seems like it would have a good success rate but I really don't know.

bhudson
11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
This is usually not a good spot. It would also depend on the villain. It wouldn't be surprising to see some loose &amp; terrible players actually call you with AK here. For an overpair to fold here, it has to be a tight player who has respect for you.

Vs a raise, and not a re-raise, it's fine if a) the player auto-cont bets or b) folds a lot to the flop raises or c) leads uncharacteristically weak. It's also fine vs a light re-raiser that's tight postflop.

I almost never do this without some sort of read on the villain.

FGators
11-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I really hate coldcalling the 3 bet with A4o. It only gets you in trouble. Fold preflop.

ZingyDNA
11-19-2006, 05:08 PM
how do u know he's restealing pre? He's got to be extremely tricky to do that and fire again on flop. It looks like over pair to me.

AE6
11-19-2006, 05:09 PM
You seem to be really out-thinking yourself here. Honestly, I don't think 6max is all that much different.
The initial button raise is good, but your hand is [censored] in a reraised pot. Just fold it.
As played, your flop move might be alright if you have a read that SB is capable of 3betting light and then following through with a cbet, but even then I think a float might accomplish the same thing while risking less.
Really though, add a few points to your PFR and I think you will be fine at 6max playing essentially your FR game.

carnivalhobo
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do u know he's restealing pre? He's got to be extremely tricky to do that and fire again on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you have a lot to learn about playing agressive shorthanded NL games, although i think this is a poor spot to try to make a move.

Mr_Donktastic
11-19-2006, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do u know he's restealing pre? He's got to be extremely tricky to do that and fire again on flop. It looks like over pair to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know he was restealing but he was playing real laggy and stealing alot of pots, and I was playing pretty tight. Put them together and it seemed like a good time to try to take one from him. My read was that he would c-bet almost 100% of the time.

I'm assuming my play here can't be standard, but I'm just wondering if this is something that you guys do every so often in these 6 max games given the amount of blind steal/restealing that appears to take place.