PDA

View Full Version : (25NL) Overpair on a paired board ???

michaelantoi
11-19-2006, 08:40 AM
I just sat down at the table so no reads on villain.

Hero and Villain both have around $25

Hero is UTG
Villain is SB

Hero has Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero raises to $0.85
UTG+1 Calls
Villain Calls

Flop (board: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif)

Villain checks. Hero bets $2.80. UTG+1 folds. Villain raises to $9.50. Hero calls.

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain goes all-in for $23.10.
Hero???

I folded only because I have no reads. Was this a terrible line?

avfletch
11-19-2006, 09:22 AM
This is a very tricky hand to play without reads but you should generally avoid calling sizable check raises on the flop if you're going to fold to a decent bet on the turn.

Your QQ isn't likely to improve with the turn card so make your decision about how you want to play the hand before making the flop call as it really doesn't provide much information.

EscapePlan9
11-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd 3-bet shove that flop. He will never check-raise that flop with 77. So you're fearing a slowplayed KK/AA (unlikely), random hand with an 8 in it, and that's all. You're ahead here very often, especially at $25 NL.

Panthro
11-19-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't like flat calling that raise UNLESS you think/know you have the best hand, and you're simply trapping. Either fold or shove all in.

wingchunflush
11-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Agreed either fold or shove on the flop. Calling just means your put to another decision on the turn and your unlikely to improve.

Marshall28
11-19-2006, 02:58 PM
all the advice here is good ...

in general most players dont play an 8 that fast, they are going to try to trap you ... you should play this one all in. if he ends up having the 8 just make a note that he plays his big hands fast. you will find often enough that he doesnt have a big hand in this situation.

munkey
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
This is one of those tricky situations where as others have said you either geting it AI or folding -a minraise I might call the flop IP but otherwise it's fold/3bet.

chk/raises on a flop like that also often mean a flush/str8 draw -especially if it's a minimum chk/raise or maybe trips weak sauce kicker.

Go with your 1 hand read/feel and accept these are toffee sticky situations for all - I'll probably lean to a fold given the information (but I'm slightly tainted by having been able to see his turn action so ignore that).