PDA

View Full Version : Atheists

Dane S
11-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Were you born as an atheist or did you transform over a period of time? Was the transformation difficult for you in any ways? Was there a key event or book or thought or person or specific conversation/argument that sparked the transition? Has not believing in God been a strong influence on your life? Give some specific examples if it has been an influence.

Are you a passive atheist who is very close to agnostic or an atheist who feels strongly about being an atheist and is willing to go to the mat against a believer?

Do you ever wish you weren't an atheist? That you could switch over to believing ignorantly and blissfully? How do you compare yourself to other atheists?

Lastly, what are your opinions on agnosticism? What would you say are the biggest differences between your average agnostic and your typical atheist?

Nielsio
11-17-2006, 11:46 PM
http://www.insolitology.com/shows/hashow/show128.mp3

luckyme
11-17-2006, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you born as an atheist

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is born an atheist and if they were raised by wolves they'd learn to howl.

luckyme

51cards
11-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Atheist means not a theist. Do you know anyone who wasn't born an a theist? I don't, by definition.

Also, now that I don't pray, none of my prayers go unanswered.

Dane S
11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Okay.. Did you have a theistic or atheistic CHILDHOOD?

luckyme
11-18-2006, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay.. Did you have a theistic or atheistic CHILDHOOD?

[/ QUOTE ]

catholic, but it didn't stick. I was lucky to be a inquisitive little blighter and none of the answers ever made sense. As I got older at least I understood why some others need it (RJT gave a good explanation recently).

luckyme

valenzuela
11-18-2006, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you born as an atheist or did you transform over a period of time? Was the transformation difficult for you in any ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

I transformed last year around June, the transformation was rather difficult for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Was there a key event or book or thought or person or specific conversation/argument that sparked the transition?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised about how many top pro poker players were atheists, suddenly one day I decided that I didnt believe in God. I also read some threads here ocasionally.

[ QUOTE ]
Has not believing in God been a strong influence on your life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a lot, I sometimes dont feel confortable being atheist, I live on a very conservative society. Im not confortable telling people I dont believe in God.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you a passive atheist who is very close to agnostic or an atheist who feels strongly about being an atheist and is willing to go to the mat against a believer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, I have strongs anti organized-religious belief, while I dont care that much if there is a God. Btw Ive always been anti organized religion.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever wish you weren't an atheist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
How do you compare yourself to other atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont really care.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, what are your opinions on agnosticism?

[/ QUOTE ]
I call BS, agonostics are just lying to themselves, theyre atheists.

luckyme
11-18-2006, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was there a key event or book or thought or person or specific conversation/argument that sparked the transition?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But one of the first things I can remember in this area was the "who made god" answer "god always was" and asking 'hey, what kind of an answer is that... and why couldn't the universe have been 'always' if that's the case." No, big deal, we still had to memorize it.

[ QUOTE ]
Has not believing in God been a strong influence on your life? Give some specific examples if it has been an influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hold myself accountable for my actions and others accountable for theirs. I know there is a cause for things that occur and don't have to weigh in some omnipotent monkeybusiness when I'm trying to figure out what it was.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's not a thought I'm capable of holding ... just as I can't imagine ME liking country and western music.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm exactly like other atheists - I don't believe in god(s).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agnostics are atheists -- they don't believe in god(s).

[ QUOTE ]
What would you say are the biggest differences between your average agnostic and your typical atheist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think such things can be 'averaged' in any way worth mentioning. I know so many of both and they have little in common ... tend to be a bit more intelligent than the average guy but that may be just my exposure.

luckyme

jogsxyz
11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Were you born a Christian? If you were orphaned as a child and raised by a Muslim family, would you be a Christian?

valenzuela
11-18-2006, 12:55 AM
I think your title should be the lord of the links, btw thats cool because it was one of your links that made me an ACists.

jogsxyz
11-18-2006, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lt. Cable: It's not born in you - it happens after you're born!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is from South Pacific. Cable is speaking of bigotry. This could also apply to religion.

Phil153
11-18-2006, 01:00 AM
I grew up in a non religious household, although they did believe in spirituality. Stuff like people have a soul, there is an afterlife. Very similar to a Buddhist philosophy without God and the meditation.

I slowly became an atheist at around 12-14, as I began to get an understanding of the world and I could see where people's beliefs came from. The model of religion they subscribed to didn't fit with the complexity of the world. I could see where their beliefs came from, see how their thoughts and desires formed, and knew they were flawed.

As I got older and learnt more, I came to an understanding similar to other scientists - that we're creatures of sense perception, and it doesn't make sense that the individual should survive the death of his brain. That doesn't make life any less miraculous, worthwhile, or fair. It just is. I had always, as long as I can remember, thought Christianity to be laughable and stupid. But I went to a Protestant school (they welcomed the tuition fees of all faiths or none) and respected their values.

I live in a country (Australia) that's fairly rational, and doesn't tolerate BS. As such, we understand people's faith, but consider the very faithful to be a bit loony. If someone said evolution didn't happen, he'd probably get some strange looks. So being an atheist hasn't really affected my life in this country. People my age (20 somethings) don't really give a crap about religion.

[ QUOTE ]
are you an atheist...who feels strongly

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel strongly about idiocy. Willfully retarded people piss me off. By willfully I mean people who act like something is true because they want it to be true, in terms of politics, religion, science, education, child rearing, or anything else that impacts others. They're the cancers of the human race, and have been since long before Jesus. Religious beliefs themselves don't bother me at all, and I have much respect for many believers, despite my occassional statements to the contrary. Most of them are just trying to live their life as best they can.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever wish you weren't an atheist? How do you compare yourself to other atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a naturally curious person, which is a trait that will always conflict with religions like Christianity. So no.

I've mostly found other atheists to be overly analytical. Many of them lack sound reasons for their beliefs, and are as much the product of their upbringing and religious experiences as theists. I'm not a particularly analytical person by nature.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can only think of a lame poker analogy.

- Theists are the fish (with an occassional LAG)
- Agnostics are the rocks.

moneyfaucet
11-18-2006, 02:36 AM
My father's a Protestant minister, so I grew up surrounded by fervent Christians. I was baptized when I was 11 or 12 but renounced my faith when I was 15 or so. I regret getting baptized to this day, and I would rather be dead than be a Christian again.

benjdm
11-18-2006, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you born as an atheist or did you transform over a period of time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Born atheist, might have been a theist for a few weeks or months as a kid (can't remember for sure), but lifelong otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
Was the transformation difficult for you in any ways? Was there a key event or book or thought or person or specific conversation/argument that sparked the transition?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, just thinking and being arrogant enough to accept my own thoughts and answers.

[ QUOTE ]
Has not believing in God been a strong influence on your life? Give some specific examples if it has been an influence.

[/ QUOTE ]
It strongly influences my perception of what I can or can't influence. I also never have to feel dumb luck (good or bad) is deserved.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fairly active.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Only if I was wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
That you could switch over to believing ignorantly and blissfully?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I don't like inaccurate beliefs or perceptions. Hell, I only even drink alcohol once every few years. I would only like to believe I had an invisible friend who could do magic if I actually did.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, what are your opinions on agnosticism? What would you say are the biggest differences between your average agnostic and your typical atheist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Terminology sometimes, effort or thought put into the topic other times.

If you're really interested, there's ~600 atheist testimonies here (http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=35947), including mine (http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showpost.php?p=3493909&postcount=581).

David Sklansky
11-18-2006, 08:32 AM
"and it doesn't make sense that the individual should survive the death of his brain."

That is not clear to me. Here are three things to chew on-

1. Suppose after you died I found a way to build an exact replica of your brain as it was today. Would you be reborn? If you say yes, what if I actually did that today. Would there be two of you?

2. Suppose your brain is merely some sort of radio receiver bringing in signals from the real you, residng elsewhere, perhaps in another dimension. The point I was making in the last chapter of Poker Gaming and Life.

3. Suppose we are really fourth dimensionsal beings aware only of our three dimensional existence for the time being and our brain dying is only an insignificant "slice" of our real brain which would live on (sort of like what would happen if harm would have befallen the circular intersection of the sphere in Flatland.)

Nielsio
11-18-2006, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your title should be the lord of the links, btw thats cool because it was one of your links that made me an ACists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!

Phil153
11-18-2006, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Suppose after you died I found a way to build an exact replica of your brain as it was today. Would you be reborn? If you say yes, what if I actually did that today. Would there be two of you?

[/ QUOTE ]
It all depends on a definition. My definition says no. I think you are the sum of your experiences and choices in this time, and this life, localized to a body and a brain in a particular time. Regardless of whether or not you have a "soul"

2&3: Possible. But if you take this position then anything is possible - including this life being a test created by txag's God. Or Allah. Or Vishnu. Or I could be living in The Matrix.

I go with the explanation that is the most likely, and the simplest, given my available knowledge. From what I've seen the universe is completely indifferent to human desires and interpretations. The history of scientific revelation has shown this time and time again. I think we should be very careful when putting an interpretation on the unknown, which fits too well with human desires and feelings. History has shown this to be one of the least accurate predictors of reality.

Victor
11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
i remember being very atheist at a young age. as young as 8 i would run away so i wouldnt have to go to church. maybe i was just a selfish brat.

Girchuck
11-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Atheist, born and raised.
Re-considered multiple times, however having not learned faith at young age, incapable of faith, and find intellectual, scientific or logical arguments of theism lacking so far without the faith.
Not interested in debating believers about their faith unless there is some fascinating apparent inconsistency in their beliefs.
I probably could switch over to believing given enough time with powerful enough brainwashing techniques, however, most likely it would not be an irreversible switch due to my laziness. I find it much easier to live life without an immutable set of arcane rituals to observe.
Agnostic used to be a lot more socially acceptable description of my state of faith in religious parts of this country, and probably still is. Besides this angle, I tend to see little or no difference between agnostic and atheist as specific religions are concerned.

Jasper109
11-19-2006, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in a non religious household, although they did believe in spirituality. Stuff like people have a soul, there is an afterlife. Very similar to a Buddhist philosophy without God and the meditation.

I slowly became an atheist at around 12-14, as I began to get an understanding of the world and I could see where people's beliefs came from. The model of religion they subscribed to didn't fit with the complexity of the world. I could see where their beliefs came from, see how their thoughts and desires formed, and knew they were flawed.

As I got older and learnt more, I came to an understanding similar to other scientists - that we're creatures of sense perception, and it doesn't make sense that the individual should survive the death of his brain. That doesn't make life any less miraculous, worthwhile, or fair. It just is. I had always, as long as I can remember, thought Christianity to be laughable and stupid. But I went to a Protestant school (they welcomed the tuition fees of all faiths or none) and respected their values.

I live in a country (Australia) that's fairly rational, and doesn't tolerate BS. As such, we understand people's faith, but consider the very faithful to be a bit loony. If someone said evolution didn't happen, he'd probably get some strange looks. So being an atheist hasn't really affected my life in this country. People my age (20 somethings) don't really give a crap about religion.

[ QUOTE ]
are you an atheist...who feels strongly

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel strongly about idiocy. Willfully retarded people piss me off. By willfully I mean people who act like something is true because they want it to be true, in terms of politics, religion, science, education, child rearing, or anything else that impacts others. They're the cancers of the human race, and have been since long before Jesus. Religious beliefs themselves don't bother me at all, and I have much respect for many believers, despite my occassional statements to the contrary. Most of them are just trying to live their life as best they can.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever wish you weren't an atheist? How do you compare yourself to other atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a naturally curious person, which is a trait that will always conflict with religions like Christianity. So no.

I've mostly found other atheists to be overly analytical. Many of them lack sound reasons for their beliefs, and are as much the product of their upbringing and religious experiences as theists. I'm not a particularly analytical person by nature.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can only think of a lame poker analogy.

- Theists are the fish (with an occassional LAG)
- Agnostics are the rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post. I wish I would have been half as thoughtful as you are when I was your age.

soon2bepro
11-19-2006, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you born as an atheist or did you transform over a period of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was raised a strong atheist, became a skeptic when I was about 14 years old.

[ QUOTE ]
Was the transformation difficult for you in any ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a relief really. I guess it is for everyone. Changes of personality during puberty are related to adaptation.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, but it didn't make sense to have a strong belief that there is no god.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean... By itself no, but the personality that comes behind that way of thinking has been.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a skeptic and I'm willing to try and teach believers to think rationally, but that's it. I don't get worked up about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever wish you weren't an atheist? That you could switch over to believing ignorantly and blissfully?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes. It'd be nice to not have to worry about the future like theists do. It'd also be nice to think one has the power to alter tangible reality merely by wishing it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not common in these forums, but otherwise most atheists are strong atheists, who have faith in that there is no possible god.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're asking us to define the word agnostic, or to say what kinds of people label themselves agnostics?

Different people think they're agnostics but are really different from each other in the matter of religious beliefs.

Anyway. Most people who label themselves agnostics are really believers who are not so sure about particular issues of their faith or the religion they're supposed to follow.

Others are skeptics, or otherwise analitic people who realize there's no reason to assume there's a god, but no reason to assume there isn't one either.

Some of the last may call themselves atheists.

holyfield5
11-19-2006, 03:39 PM
My grandpa was a pastor so i was brought up in it.

as a kid i prayed sometimes, though i slept in church. I use to be pretty sure there was no hell but the idea of maybe scared me. I dont think i ever really believed it but i accepted it because of my environment and american society. my dad use to talk about god a lot when he would lecture me too.

never went to church unless i had to but if asked i would say i was christian.

the turning point from this mentality to me being a straight "agnostic" was when i got interested in existetial philosophy, i think this coupled with poker really elevated my consciousness.

I also read the tao of physics and from that point started thinking christianity was a joke. I dont talk to anyone about this for obvious reasons and im just content to know for myself and shake off the shackles.