PDA

View Full Version : Pot odds cliff notes..?

GutPunch
11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
A recent post made me start thinking about my pot odds a little more..

Just wondering if anyone has some cliff notes on good odds stats to memorize for NL play.

I know how to calculate pot odds away from the table, but at the table, I use more of an approximation system.

Just wondering what stats you feel are worth memorizing for quicker calcuation at the table?

For example, straight + flush draw is usually about 15 outs or will hit 1/3 of the time. So you need to be getting pot odds of 2:1 or better to make a call.

Flush will hit about ~20% of time so you need about ~3:1 to make a call here

OESD will hit ~17% so you need ~4:1 here

pair + flush is ?? to win

pair + straight is ??

A set will hit about 7.5 in 1 times so you need to be able to win about 7x the bet to make a call

gutshot + overs is ??

ect. ect.

What situations do you commonly find yourself in where you need to calcuate simple pot odds? These are just a few off the top of my head that I currently know/use almost daily.

Panthro
11-17-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.tightpoker.com/poker_odds.html

deception5
11-17-2006, 05:03 PM
The trick I always use is the *2+2 for the next card and *4 for the next 2 cards (ie to call a flop push). So for example if there are 9 outs, 9*2+2 is around 20% chance of improving on the next card. 9*4 is around 36% chance of improving over the next 2 cards.

Specifically to your examples - pair+flush is 12 outs or 12*2+2 - around 26% chance to improve on the next card. oesd+pair is around 11 outs or 11*2+2=~24% chance.

degenrat
11-17-2006, 07:00 PM
i know i am splitting hairs, but i think it is -ev to think this way.

You only need x odds to call a bet if that is the end of the betting for the hand. otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice by ignoring fold equity, implied odds etc.

Pott odd should be thought of for calling pushes, sng end games, heads up pots. outside of that, they are only a fraction of what you should be thinking of.

degenrat
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
but as it relates to your post, i think phil gordon has an easy to understand explanation similar to the guy above me. basically on the flop multiply your outs by 4 on the river multiply by 2. that number is your rough percentage to make your hand. iirc

EMc
11-17-2006, 07:06 PM
dont hate,

But pot odds arent that important. Orange and I had a conversation about this the other day, and in NL implied odds are much more important.

You should look at your implied odds mroe and then have a general feeling to your pot odds.