PDA

View Full Version : NL50 (live): Good pot-control or just weak/passive?

crookdimwit
11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
My regular .25/.50 home game last night. Nine-handed. I've got about $70 behind. Villain, the loosest, most-aggressive player at the table was up big early, lost it all, and has rebought twice now. He has about $60. I'm playing my typical tight, aggressive game, he's been playing his typical loose-aggressive, any-two-cards-can-win style. He seems a bit shellshocked and less aggressive at this point, having just seen his huge stack evaporate.

Preflop: A few limpers, including villain. I raise on the button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif to $3. Limpers fold, except villain, who calls.

Flop: ($7.50). K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)

Villain bets $5. I call.

Turn: ($17.50). 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)

Villain bets $5. I call.

River: ($27.50). 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)

Villain bets $10. I call.

How's my line? Too passive? A decent attempt at pot control? The right play with a mediocre hand against my loose opponent?

z28dreams
11-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I probably play it the exact same way.

Unfortunately, the 8 and 9 on the turn/river are AWFUL cards for you.

You're already behind AK,KQ,KJ, and now behind K9 and K8.

Getting almost 4:1 on the river, I think you have to call here, though I don't like it much.

What's his river aggression like? I'm starting to use this read/PT stat quite heavily to determine river calls.

z28dreams
11-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Added: DC area? I might be interested in some 50NL games....

tufat23
11-17-2006, 01:10 PM
minraise the turn, fold to a 3-bet.

then u can check the turn for free. this doesnt look like a bluff on the river, and i would consider shoving if you think villain can fold KQ

MattsTheMan
11-17-2006, 01:11 PM
UM I would not like to have that big pot even against an loose opponent with a garbage hand like KTs. I guess your call is read depended but more often I would fold to that bet on river. Most of the time you are beten by K with better kicker or two pair set ... etc...

crookdimwit
11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably play it the exact same way.

Getting almost 4:1 on the river, I think you have to call here, though I don't like it much.

What's his river aggression like? I'm starting to use this read/PT stat quite heavily to determine river calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, this guy makes bolder, bigger river bets, sometimes with air, sometimes with some marginal hands, occasionally a legit monster. I'll say this for the guy -- he plays so loose, his big hands get paid off a lot more than mine. But, that said, he plays a lot of junk, and the whole way I felt like he was just hoping to bet me off the hand, but was feeling a bit too roughed up from his earlier losses to make as big or as aggressive of a move than he normally would.

My rule of thumb against this guy (and another similarly loose player at our game) is that with any bet he makes on the river, if I've got any mediocre to strong hand, if I'm getting 3:1 or better, I'm calling without much hesitation. He's easily bluffing 25% of the time, and I'd say 50% of the time, his bet means he's got something, but he missed a bigger draw, so a solid, but not great hand may be good...

Sir Winalot
11-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I would just call preflop. Yeah, I think this gets you a cheap showdown.

orange
11-18-2006, 03:32 AM
I think this line is fine. Also, z28 wants to play some home games. He's easy $$$$.

crookdimwit
11-18-2006, 09:47 AM
z28.... PM me and we can talk about the home game...