PDA

View Full Version : ($25)Line check- new to cash games

STALLOWN3D
11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
I am new to cash games so please don't be nice. I feel so helpless when I'm playing and I'd like to change that.

First hand- no reads

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($19.30)
MP ($35.40)
Button ($7.80)
SB ($46.05)
Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.75</font>, Button calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($9.75) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5.

River: ($19.75) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5.

Final Pot: $29.75

I'll tell you my thoughts on each street.

PF-Didn't know what to do with the limpers and being OOP i thought I'd take a flop and see what happens.

Flop- Felt I had the best hand so I put in what I thought was a good sized raise. Raise more? less?

Turn- didn't like that original raiser called me so I threw out 1/2 pot sized bet not really knowing where I was.

River- Kinda worried about being beat by AK right now although I thought I would've been raised on the turn. So this pansy $5 bet is just me saying "I don't want to check and have you move all-in on me"

Please comment on any or all if you would like. Also, should I have more confidence in my hand here? Is this a hand I want to be betting more for value? I'm trying to get past my fear of always thinking I'm beat and it's not working out too well right now. Thanks in advance

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 03:03 AM
Raise pre flop to $3. everyone folds and you win.

i'm not joking.

STALLOWN3D
11-17-2006, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, well as played then. Comments on the other streets?

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Flop raise is good.
Check turn for pot control.
25% pot bet on river is pretty weak.

50% pot bet on river is good.

Panthro
11-17-2006, 03:32 AM
coulda 3-bet PF and avoided playing OOP, but calling is fine.
Flop is goot.
Turn feeler/blocker/value bet is goot. I like betting out small here to control the size of the pot.
Probably missed some value on the river, but meh. Although his cold calling all the way down gives you little information about his hand.

STALLOWN3D
11-17-2006, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Turn feeler/blocker/value bet is goot. I like betting out small here to control the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does my 1/2 pot sized bet qualify as small or are you suggesting somewhere closer to $3

Panthro
11-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Na, $5 is good man. If anything a tad more. You don't want it too small, else you're begging villain to put in a raise.

Edit: most ML'ers consider a *small* bet to be between half and 3/5ths or 2/3rds of the pot.

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Na, $5 is good man. If anything a tad more. You don't want it too small, else you're begging villain to put in a raise.

Edit: most ML'ers consider a *small* bet to be between half and 3/5ths or 2/3rds of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree and here is my reason. I really think 25% of pot bets are weak, it looks like you are doing exactly what you are doing. Me personally, if I saw a bet like that on the end I would raise it almost everytime.

$10 looks like you could be value betting the nuts or value betting a marginal holding. It's a much more confident bet.

Those are my reasons feel free to agree/disagree.

DeuceSeven
11-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Preflop: Mostly reraise with this. Given no reads I might call at a new table. I lean to reraising to $3 for a few reasons: 1)It defines your hand. 2)It disguises your big hands (AA, KK). 3) It allows you to take the pot down preflop, which is nice being oop.

Flop: Raise to $4, sb's getting better then 3:1 to call your flop raise and it should narrow the field a little better. Also try and put villain on a hand. I'm guessing he's got 2nd pair or an A with a weak kicker.

Turn: That looks like a safe card, half sized bet looks ok.

River: I didn't like that T, now AT is beating us. I might check here, your small bet is not horrible.

eigenvalue
11-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Preflop: Reraise this to something like $4, at least. Generally, don't call a lot of raises from the BB. Fold or reraise almost every time. AQs cries for a reraise here!

Flop: As played, You have no choice but to raise. But with 4 players in that hand, a pot sized bet is way to weak. You should make a massive overbet of at least 250%. If someone calls that, I would assume he isn't drawing and You are beat. But You avoided loosing to much money on later streets.

Turn: As played, a bet is fine here, I would bet a little more, but not much more, planning to check-call the river if my turn bet would be called.

River: I would vote for a check-call here, if the bet of Villain wouldn't be an massive overbet. But Your bet worked fine here.

But look back: You had to invest $13 to find out whether Your hand was good or not. If he raised You on the river, You were in danger to invest more or to be bluffed out of that pot with You holding the winning hand.
If I make a flop overbet of 300%, I have to invest $9 only to define my hand and it is very unlikely that I'm bluffed out here if I hold the best hand!

deehi
11-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Ok,
I am still growing,but in this instance,you get a weak raise and a bunch of callers. When it came back around to you, jam the pot with big raise! The $3 raise sounds great, this tells everyone at the table,"hey,I REALLY like my hand, and who wants to come play with me?" As mentioned, this now defines your hand. Your opponents now have to put you on a big pocket pair or AK. So on the flop, of Axx, lead out again for 1/2 to 3/4 pot. This now say,"screw you, I still think my hand is the best." If you get called, than you have to start asking,what hand might my opponent be holding? From there,my postflop abilities need work so I am also interested in how to roll with the hand from the Turn to River?

Sir Winalot
11-17-2006, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you are. This is ridiculous. Make a standard raise of 4BB. Raise the flop bigger, I'd make it 4-4.5. Your 1/2-pot turn bet is bad. I'd make it at least 7, preferably 8-10. Your river bet sucks too, now remember this: Small bets are bad, and shouldn't be used, and you can't go far wrong.