PDA

View Full Version : Biochemical Effects of Adderall

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Just started taking this stuff. Everything seems so much clearer and I can focus on many things with much more enthusiasm.

Anyone know what this drug does exactly?

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Er, add all?

It seems to be an amphetamine mix. How much faster are you eating your Big Macs now?

[censored] nasty stuff. I'd stick to coffee.

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Er, add all?

It seems to be an amphetamine mix. How much faster are you eating your Big Macs now?

[censored] nasty stuff. I'd stick to coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty insane. 2 a day and I am 100% focused. I wish I found this stuff during highschool.

Misfire
11-17-2006, 03:14 AM
From what I understand, it helps ADD people keep from getting bored.

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 03:17 AM
I can't imagine what I'd be like amped up. I already run at 130% to start with. Yikes.

theblackkeys
11-17-2006, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just started taking this stuff. Everything seems so much clearer and I can focus on many things with much more enthusiasm.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone keeps saying it amps you up, but I think that is the problem I have with concentration. I get too amped up and lose focus like a dog.

Does it amp you up, or does it focus your mind? Also, I have trouble getting to sleep at a reasonable time, does this make it harder?

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone keeps saying it amps you up, but I think that is the problem I have with concentration. I get too amped up and lose focus like a dog.

Does it amp you up, or does it focus your mind? Also, I have trouble getting to sleep at a reasonable time, does this make it harder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that's funny you said that. Yeah I am definitely not sleeping at all tonight. Also I get like an excited feeling like I'm refreshed and new, it is a bit difficult to explain.

I don't feel "amped up" though like it's an adrenaline rush, more like a mind rush.

hmkpoker
11-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Have you tried snorting them yet? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

arahant
11-17-2006, 04:55 AM
It's a mix of amphetamines. Link to rx list info on adderall (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/amphet_cp.htm)
This article doesn't cover the exact mechanism real well, if that is what you were interested in. Primarily, amphetamines stimulate the release and suppress the reuptake of dopamine and noradrenalin (i.e., they make you high). Much of the effects are similar to other stimulants like nicotine and caffeine. Heck, I may have becom addicted to nicotine using it to stay alert while studying...very similar effect. Here's a nice reference on amphetamine: Link (http://corp.aadac.com/other_drugs/the_basics_about_other_drugs/amphetamines_beyond_abcs.asp)

Adderall is prescribed in very low doses, and I don't believe that the doses it is given in are considered particularly addictive.

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 05:04 AM
Well, of course not, because they come one pill to a bottle?

This thread and OP's SN... <shakes head>

If it's been 'scribed, dude, and you've got the disclipine, fine. If you find yourself chewin' them with Red Bulls for breakfast... Good luck. Formication != fornication.

arahant
11-17-2006, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that's funny you said that. Yeah I am definitely not sleeping at all tonight. Also I get like an excited feeling like I'm refreshed and new, it is a bit difficult to explain.

I don't feel "amped up" though like it's an adrenaline rush, more like a mind rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...yeah, taking amphetamines can definitely keep you awake. The reason you don't feel 'high' is because the dosage is low. The effect isn't much different from taking a very small dose of meth. Low dosage effects are usually described as this 'increased focus', as opposed to the 'high' of a larger dose. I think the effect is just part of a continuum (if that makes sense...i mean, you are kind of 'a little' high). It's possible that higher doses actually start to affect additional transmitters in the brain (rather than just maxing out noradrenalin and dopamine) resulting in a different feeling entirely, but I don't believe this is the case.

I have a vague theory i just thought of now and haven't checked out...basically, you are satisfying your pleasure pathways with adderall (dopamine, in particular). Maybe when we are restless and unfocused, it is because our brains our 'unsatisfied' and looking around for stimulation. Maybe a little amphetamine provides just enough satisfaction to prevent our minds from wandering off and looking for something stimulating.

If you take a lot, the high is similar to meth (though with slower delivery, so not the same). Don't do that, btw.

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a mix of amphetamines. Link to rx list info on adderall (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/amphet_cp.htm)
This article doesn't cover the exact mechanism real well, if that is what you were interested in. Primarily, amphetamines stimulate the release and suppress the reuptake of dopamine and noradrenalin (i.e., they make you high). Much of the effects are similar to other stimulants like nicotine and caffeine. Heck, I may have becom addicted to nicotine using it to stay alert while studying...very similar effect. Here's a nice reference on amphetamine: Link (http://corp.aadac.com/other_drugs/the_basics_about_other_drugs/amphetamines_beyond_abcs.asp)

Adderall is prescribed in very low doses, and I don't believe that the doses it is given in are considered particularly addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. Yeah I'm only taking like 60miligrams of it a day. So technically I am getting high but in a more productive way? That's a neat trick.

Metric
11-17-2006, 05:28 AM
Used it a couple times when I had to get large quantities of boring work done overnight. Worked extremely well: not "amped up" by any means -- just that everything all of a sudden seems interesting, including the type of work that would ordinarily bore you to tears.

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Used it a couple times when I had to get large quantities of boring work done overnight. Worked extremely well: not "amped up" by any means -- just that everything all of a sudden seems interesting, including the type of work that would ordinarily bore you to tears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Speedlimits
11-17-2006, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, of course not, because they come one pill to a bottle?

This thread and OP's SN... <shakes head>

If it's been 'scribed, dude, and you've got the disclipine, fine. If you find yourself chewin' them with Red Bulls for breakfast... Good luck. Formication != fornication.

[/ QUOTE ]

My SN? Not sure whats wrong with it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been prescribed so it's all in the hands of THE DOC.

AthenianStranger
11-17-2006, 02:16 PM
For a real good time, try in with alcohol and TUMS/TUMS equivalent. Trust me. Alcohol magnifies the effects of both the amphetamines and the methamphetamines in Adderal, and the calcium carbonate in the TUMS also increases the effect. This drug effect is known as triple A (by only me and a few others): Adderal, Alcohol and Antacids. More specifically:

40 mg of Adderal (or equivalent)
1 beer (only one, really)
6 TUMS tablets.

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Dude, for a theist, you're not helping the weak. WTF? lol

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried snorting them yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you could even mix it with some kool-aid. Aaaaah!

crookedhat99
11-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I took it for a couple weeks and didn't feel anything so stopped.