PDA

View Full Version : AQ TPTK, fire again on the turn?

Gravy
11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I didn't expect this many people to call my flop bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($7.40)
CO ($9.55)
Button ($24.40)
SB ($15.45)
Hero ($10.25)
UTG ($8.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.45) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.45</font>, UTG calls $0.45, CO calls $0.45, Button calls $0.45.

Turn: ($2.25) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>

CaptUnlucky
11-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Giving a free card here is not an option, there are 19837395 draws available.

Bet around 3/4pot here, but I think if you get raised you should consider a fold

Jigsaws
11-17-2006, 12:01 AM
BOMBS AWAY.

Check_The_Nuts
11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
wtf. Check the turn. Pot control 101.

edited to add: raise preflop!

kolotoure
11-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Checking this turn is unbelievably terrible

ImprovinNewbie
11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
you are ahead on many many hands.... and draws. bet 1/2 the pot and just deny odds to drawing hands... re-eval depending should you get raised. the only Q im seriously worried about is a late pos. player with Q9 and a set of 6's. i think 9's other than UTG would raise with 99 and even UTG might. 6's might have called.... bet half and if only called and a blank comes bet for value... maybe 1/3 pot...

Check_The_Nuts
11-17-2006, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Checking this turn is unbelievably terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

d00d, there's 4 villians at a level where 90% of them slow play. Your repping huge strength leading into four people like that. Someone will bet your hand for you. In a better position I'd bet, or with a stronger hand, or if there were just 3 villians. 4 seems like madness.

hummm [censored] there is a ton of draws there, 78o, TJo, and any club draw. raise preflop plz :/. I think if you lead out on the turn, all these draws can still profitably call. Its likely there's two draws and one other decent hand, so I check hoping the other decent hand bets, which will give the draws worse odds (from their perspective) to call with.

Mal_Pais
11-17-2006, 12:29 AM
By not raising preflop, I think we must bet this turn. I don't know what a blank river looks like, considering all the hands behind us. I think by checking the turn, we turn the probable best hand on the turn into a bluff catcher on the river.

pokerchap
11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
bet this turn man

Gravy
11-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Curious to hear from more people about preflop. With one less limper I'd raise.

Check_The_Nuts
11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
gotta raise preflop because AQ can hit semi crap hands like this. Also you can't just raise QQ++ out of the blinds (your extremely easy to play against otherwise). I raise preflop large here, like 70 cents, then bet out any flop (unless 3 people call). My flop cbets are smaller than normal in these cases, and I giveup when called.

If I was button in this hand I'd consider calling with a range of hands that I could bust you with on the turn (the turn pot is huge). Reasoning being your range is quite tight, while everyone elses is wide. Implied odds are pretty good.

VorShot
11-17-2006, 01:58 AM
The problem is, you're trying to play two different lines.

From the position you are in, with a strong hand like AQ, you need to raise it preflop. That way, you are not firing into a mine field.

If you do not want to play AQ for a preflop raise, when you hit TPTK, you are gonna have to play it super careful out of position.

If your going to just check preflop, I might play passive on the flop as well hoping to check raise. I don't like to check raise, but any draws can get priced out pretty quick. which you can't do by betting and getting called in three places. It also gives you a good way to build a huge pot on the flop. Plus, a check raise can help build a pot to kill implied odds.

If they check through you can check/fold if a draw hits, or bet a blank card. You can check/call check/fold the turn depending on the river.

It's either that, or raise it preflop....which is really the best play.

Sir Winalot
11-17-2006, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BOMBS AWAY.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eigenvalue
11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Preflop: Unbelievable, You can't check AQ to donkey limpers at this level. Raise that to $0.6 at least, sometimes to $1, depending on the table.

Flop: You hit TPTK, but there are 4 players and a flush draw. You have to overbet the pot here to at least 250%, once again depending on the table. I would suggest to bet $1.5 here.

Turn: I'm still convinced You are ahead, but it's getting more and more expensive to find out where You are after Your weak Preflop and Flop play. Don't even think of underbetting the pot here! To define Your hand and to deny pot odds, You have to overbet the pot once again to at least 250%. Because You are becoming pot commited with that kind of bet, choose between giving up this nice hand or raising all-in. Everything in between makes no sense and is very, very weak.

demon102
11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
RAISE PREFLOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

demon102
11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
RAISE PREFLOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Check_The_Nuts
11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
[censored] I'm not getting the lines you guys are offering at all. Check raise flop to "build a big pot"? We don't want to build a big pot quickly with TPTK, especially against four villians.

Bet the turn to "define our hand". WTF, why would we want to define our hand? so they can play perfectly against us? Sure it doesn't matter if we do this against the stupid donks, but the good players won't play anything worse than your hand if you lead out for pot again on the turn.

I think we're probably ahead of the field. I also think if we bet this turn we will get raised by better hands, which won't fold, and we will be pretty pot stuck to fold as well. I also think someone will bet this turn, and that the river should be fairly straightforward for us to play.

kolotoure
11-17-2006, 11:14 AM
We bet because we have what is likely the best hand on a very draw heavy board

maso
11-17-2006, 11:55 AM
there's a few less draws out there because you hold the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'd fire another round then block any river. But the problem is you didnt raise pf to limit the field.

NL Newbie
11-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Id happily bet $3 into this pot.
ATLEAST pot it IMO.

MattsTheMan
11-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Well you Have to raise Preflop with AQo in 6-max NL any position. But it’s a tricky hand so you have to proceed with causion. And since it’s a tricky hand to play
Its even more important that you raise preflop. It could also be a good spot to punish Some limpers with so you could raise a bit bigger than normal preflop. If they are decent They will most likely fold to a big raise OOP.