PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize winner Milton Friedman died today

ojc02
11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Capitalism and Freedom (http://www.amazon.com/Capitalism-Freedom-Anniversary-Milton-Friedman/dp/0226264211/sr=8-1/qid=1163713216/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2301874-2918303?ie=UTF8&s=books) was one of the first books I read about capitalism. Though I don't agree with all that Friedman endorses, this book was a great read and got me started in philosophy / politics.

Any thoughts about Friedman and his career? It's always upsetting to me to hear about the loss of famous and reputable capitalists.

Borodog
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Like many economists, Friedman was good on nearly everything except what he was known for: money.

FortunaMaximus
11-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Fascinating man, fascinating life.

From Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Friedman made headlines by proposing a negative income tax to replace the existing welfare system and then opposing the bill to implement it because it merely supplemented the existing system rather than replace it. In recent years, Friedman devoted much of his effort to promoting school vouchers that can be used to pay for tuition at both private and public schools, saying, "What is needed in America is a voucher of substantial size available to all students, and free of excessive regulations." His idea was that vouchers would allow private schools to compete with the public school monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vale, vale, vale.