PDA

View Full Version : 10NL How to play a set?

ImprovinNewbie
11-16-2006, 05:02 PM
10NL at FT

sorry i lost the hand history when i got kicked off accidently while writing this

hero is MP1 with TT....

hero has 4.25 only one person at the table has me covered

UTG and UTG1 limp for .10. hero raises to .60 and all fold to UTG and UTG1 who call.

Flop: 7 8 T all different suits...

pot is 1.70ish.... UTG bets .30, UTG1 calls.... Hero pushes.........

Ra_
11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
looks good, play with more money.

King Spew
11-16-2006, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.... play with more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is YOU that needs a bit of theory advice. I suggest NLT&P chapter on playing "short".

OP, I think a push here is best. Get it in while you are ahead IMHO. That being said, I think you can get more value by delaying the push. Maybe throw in a miniraise here and see what developes. Depends on recent table dynamics as to whether I am interested in "gambling" or take the $$$$ now with a push.

Ra_
11-16-2006, 06:10 PM
At stakes this small there is no reason not to play with a full stack, not having a full stack will mean you can't make as much money.

I have yet to read NLT&P, but I'm almost positive that it doesn't suggest playing short at stakes where people frequently get all in with weak hands.

evilempire
11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.... play with more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is YOU that needs a bit of theory advice. I suggest NLT&P chapter on playing "short".

OP, I think a push here is best. Get it in while you are ahead IMHO. That being said, I think you can get more value by delaying the push. Maybe throw in a miniraise here and see what developes. Depends on recent table dynamics as to whether I am interested in "gambling" or take the $$$$ now with a push.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what it says but if you think shortstacking is BETTER than a full buy-in for somebody trying to learn the game you are making a mistake IMO.

BrunoThePug
11-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't think pushing here is a great idea. Why not put in a reasonable sized raise? I just don't understand the value in pushing the flop.

Waingro
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think pushing here is a great idea. Why not put in a reasonable sized raise? I just don't understand the value in pushing the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
edit: Misread the action. I agree, raise to $2, push the turn

kurto
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
why are you blowing your wad so quickly? Slow down, boy. You have to finesse a woman. Give her a hug and kiss. Don't just immediately grab at her naughty bits.

What's wrong with a pot raise? You've got 3 streets to get it all in. Too often you're going to fold people out getting it all in so quickly like that. And, unless you're doing this all the time, its going to be readable. Pot it.

checkmate36
11-16-2006, 07:38 PM
I do remember reading in GSIHE where Ed Miller points out that if your not the best player at the table, then playing short will probably be better.

At $10nl, OP is probably the best player at the table so buying in short is most likely -EV. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shoot59
11-16-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

At stakes this small there is no reason not to play with a full stack, not having a full stack will mean you can't make as much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ImprovinNewbie
11-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Two things... small BR and this is a very dangerous flop..... i was a little worried there would be a straight out there already. i mean i dont really see J9 or 96 calling here but i do see a tard with K9s or A9 maybe QJs calling my PF raise after limping... i didnt want to give and one card straights an opportunity to outdraw me....

Acein8ter
11-16-2006, 11:17 PM
As Kurto said, pot it here. You may get called with a drawing hand... Most people and donks will not call your AI bet w/TP... Think about building the pot instead of pushing everyone out. (Of course, you need to charge them for taking another card)

Vegetarian
11-16-2006, 11:26 PM
You have to push here, if you make a proper raise on the flop you won't have anything left to bet on the turn, you played it perfectly.

VorShot
11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt want to give and one card straights an opportunity to outdraw me....

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving a free card would be NOT raising.

You don't make money helping them make the right decision, you want exactly the opposite. It's just your job to make sure they do not have the odds to do so.

You do that job by betting the pot.

Shoot59
11-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Here's what a better and more respected poster says about buying in short. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=microplnl&Number=7964 709&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

I don't know what your bankroll is, but at NL10 you will make more by buying in for the full amount if you are a better player than your opposition.