PDA

View Full Version : Ed's macro micro article - MUST read for all serious players

ilovebadbeats
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Ed's macro-micro article brings a tear to my eye it's so perfect in its simplicity.

I use his simple grouping to "file away in my mind" all the poker
ideas/concepts I have learned in my last year and a half I've spent reading about poker.

Some winning concepts, simply put, trump others. And oftentimes
while playing you run into a decision where some of the ideas you know to be correct conflict with each other...what do you do then?
It helps to know what idea/concept is more important, and which you should place priority on...so you waste less bets on hands you shouldn't be in in the first place (rather than trying to pull off too big a play on too small of a pot, e.g.).

I typically (now that I think back) make decisions at the table based on
a micro view that conflicts with a macro principle. This is the error I make the most ( I knew this immediatley after reading the article).
And all the losing players out there
do this all day long - because you lose at poker if you act like this!
And even worse (or, better, from your, the winning player's POV, many players don't even know
what the macro principles are in the first place! - I assert that you can't play winning poker without knowing them!!! And in the tougher games, prioritizing a micro view too often (at the expense of a macro principle) will turn you into a loser.)

Poker is a game of conflicting (and counterintuitive) ideas and, as least for me, breaking up all the
principles into
macro and micro (like Federal and State law, lol) helps me make sense of it all.

READ this article. Then write down all the macro ideas Ed gives you and take the list with you
to your table while you play. And, furthermore, MAKE SURE your micro observations DON'T come into
conflict with your macro principles.
(Hmmm...'nother way to think about it is that the macro principles you know (or should know) before you even sit down at the table, while the micro ideas are the observations/reads you make once you're there...)

(micro-micro conflicts shouldn't really lose you too much money...
an example of this I guess would be: cold-calling a raise with KQ? Making one with KQo in early middle pos.? My point here is trying to find a "close play" (one that's profitable in the LR, but that you might not want to try based on a read, past hands (your table image, etc.), or b/c your "feel" tells you not to make it...These plays shouldn't win you or lose/cost you too much anyway...The "it doesn't really matter" plays to me are the fun ones to me, where I
"play" the game/where the "game" is in it for me - variance goes up...or you can keep it low - you can have fun making different decisions each time and not really hurt your LR EV)

Back to the article: I'm goint to take it and make more bets with it this month - "check" - "Done deal" - "money in the bank,"

That's it for my comments/re-hash,
thanks Ed.

Ed (or anyone else), could you please reply to this to add to the list of macro -principles?

1. Bet bigger and more frequently in late position.
2. Fold more in small pots than in big ones.
3. Play big pots with big hands and [you can play] small pots with smaller hands.
4. Money flows clockwise around the table; I want the worst players on my direct right.
5. [Macro way to beat an individual player:] Ask: a. What mistakes does my opponent make? b. How can I exploit those mistakes?
6. ???

Micro principles:

1. [What do you guys steal with on the Button (in a typical game? the CO?]
2. [What hands do you cold call a typcial raiser with in EP to early-MiddleP? 3-bet him with?]
3. [What hands you limp with and where?]

I'd like to get a nice list together (to fit on 1 sheet (81/2 by 11) to have with me while playing...

poker_n00b
02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Nice article. I may have had the same thoughts but I definitely would need like 10 times more space than Ed to put it on paper.

I also never believed in thus "feel" and "math" players [censored]. If both are advantageous, why could not one combine them? And I think most players already combine those. But math should be definitely bigger part of that set.

Peace!

jogsxyz
02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice article. I may have had the same thoughts but I definitely would need like 10 times more space than Ed to put it on paper.

I also never believed in thus "feel" and "math" players [censored]. If both are advantageous, why could not one combine them? And I think most players already combine those. But math should be definitely bigger part of that set.

Peace!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the old-fashioned "math" guys. The new age "math" guys take feel into account. While usually "math" is worth more than "feel", it's not always true. Against a player who you haven't ever seen bluff in years, you can safely fold second nut, even in limit hold'em.