PDA

View Full Version : I'm inexperienced in these situations, NL50 vs maniac

CaptUnlucky
11-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Villian is 55/27 over 60 hands, minraising and 2.5BB a lot preflop. Probably cbetting about 90% of the time, mostly just be hitting UB's pot button.

Preflop is this a fold? I had yet to see him reraise before the flop, and he's pretty crazy so I figured my IO were pretty good here.

I am lost on the flop.
(converter not working)

Hero: $52.75
Villain: $43.20

Hero UTG dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian posts BB of $.50

Hero raises to $2, 4 folds, Villian reraises to $6.25, Hero calls $4.25

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (~12.50)

Villian pushes for $36.95, Hero ???

TKWest
11-15-2006, 11:59 PM
1.Switch tables

2. I dont like raising Pf with J9s with a maniac behind me.It is the kind of hand you might want to limp in with in late position after several limpers but not now.

3. The most satisfying way to beat these guys is to flop a great hand and let him do the betting until the turn or river and then take over. Doesnt allways happen so switch tables and find some passive opponents.

CaptUnlucky
11-16-2006, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2. I dont like raising Pf with J9s with a maniac behind me.It is the kind of hand you might want to limp in with in late position after several limpers but not now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this is true. I guess I'm just very used to opening J9 at these tables that it seemed the right play at the time.

Panthro
11-16-2006, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1.Switch tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least sit to his left so you have position. If you plan on sitting to his right, then play passively and let him do the betting for you.

Bowlboy
11-16-2006, 01:28 AM
how is it good to open J9 at any table?

Big Poppa Smurf
11-16-2006, 02:18 AM
def fold preflop with a maniac behind you, this is really too read dependent to get good answers

helloimcdog
11-16-2006, 02:51 AM
this happens so often its ridiculous, you have a maniac at a table and yet you wanna get it all in with TPNK, if youre going to be staying at this table just wait for a big hand to roll around and pick him off them, TPNK is not a big hand.

MattsTheMan
11-16-2006, 03:58 AM
I Fold here to marginal to know where you are standing even against a Maniac. Im not sure if i want to call with J9s OOP to such a huge raise I think i would have folded. Even if you hit a pair you dont know where you are standing since your kicker is too bad. If this would have been a multiway pot I think a call could be ok.

canavarr
11-16-2006, 04:07 AM
well there is not many hands you can beat, there is no obvious draw possibility on the board for a raised pot, so he cannot be semi-bluffing a draw. he might have trips, or an overpair, you cannot even beat AJ-KJ-QJ, but considering he is a maniac he might also have a blank.
Just be patient, wait for your moment to bust him.

eigenvalue
11-16-2006, 04:34 AM
I would never, never play J9s UTG with a maniac sitting at the table. What will happen is exactly what's up here. You may catch a vulnerable top pair with a so-so kicker. And with a maniac in the hand, You have to make up Your mind whether to play that hand for Your entire stack.

That's a big, a very big nono to me!

DeuceSeven
11-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Isn't villain to OPs right? OP is utg and villain is bb? I don't mind raising with J9s oop occasionally, but I don't want to commit to much money preflop against a maniac I can't play a small pot in ep. Once you get repopped lay it down. I generally raise with AJ+, KJ+, PP in ep and occasionally mix in suited connectors.

I had yet to see him reraise before the flop, and he's pretty crazy so I figured my IO were pretty good here.

Then lay it down preflop.

______y0
11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
So if you just wait for a big hand with a guy like this maniac do you not think he will catch on and not play his junk?

I find they know what your doing and will not pay you off unless they hit a hand or a draw.

Imrahil
11-16-2006, 09:32 AM
This sort of looks like he may have 99, TT or a missed AQ or AK.

Splossy
11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So if you just wait for a big hand with a guy like this maniac do you not think he will catch on and not play his junk?

I find they know what your doing and will not pay you off unless they hit a hand or a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't know what you are doing. They can only react to your betting patterns. If they react to your raises or calls by folding then clearly that opens up the possibility of bluffing him using your tight image.

ablick
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
I don’t understand these recommendations about switching tables. Never switch tables if you manage to find a player who is willing to give all of his money to you. I’m looking for these maniacs when I’m playing. Of course passive players are easy to play against, but these maniacs are more profitable. Playing against maniacs probably increases your variance, but why should that matter if you have adequate bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this is true. I guess I'm just very used to opening J9 at these tables that it seemed the right play at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably the worst excuse I ever heard, when someone is playing bad hand from UTG. Try to get used to fold this hand from EP and MP unless you are playing at the most passive table ever. This is a perfect example why you shouldn’t play these hands especially when there’s a maniac in your table. You hit the flop well and yet you don’t know what to do.

crookdimwit
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Fold pre-flop. Why do you want to put yourself in a hand, out of position, with mediocre cards, against a maniac, who you know is going to bet? Unless the flop comes J9x or JJ9 or JJx, you're asking for trouble.,..

As played, fold to the all-in bet.

I see this a lot at my home game, when people get into hands with super-loose players. Rather than tighten up, wait for position, and use the LAG players' over-aggressiveness against them, they get loosen up, get impatient and make some move with mediocre hands. It can be frustrating to fold a decent hand vs. a maniac when you suspect he's on a bluff... But I guarantee it feels worse to lose a big pot to him when you took a mediocre hand to battle against him out of frustration or impatience.

I find that the worst way to deal with a maniac is to start loosening up your standards to match his. He LIKES that style and feels at home playing loose, gambling poker, while most of us don't. Don't play on his turf, play on yours. Tighten up, wait for good cards and good position, and break him off when he tries to get cute with top pair or some longshot draw... Or wait until you flop a monster and let him do the betting for you -- let him go for the bully move, since he's sure you're weak, and then call his overbet...

Sir Winalot
11-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Grunch,

Fold to preflop raise. Instafold on the flop.

Sir Winalot
11-16-2006, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1.Switch tables

[/ QUOTE ]
With a maniac at your table?! I mean, what the hell? This is exactly the guy who you WANT to be playing with. If you can switch seat to his right, then please do so, but DO NOT LEAVE THE TABLE, these guys are an absolute goldmine. Just start taking your average hands to the felt against him and you'll earn tons of money from him. Just say hello to variance and get ready for a bumpy ride though.

DeuceSeven
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Am I missing something here? You want villain to YOUR right, and tight players to your left. If he's to your right he only has position on you when he's the button and you're the sb.

I'm pretty aggressive and see alot of flops. Theres nothing worse then calling a raise with 67s just to get reraised with maniacs ATo, then missing a flop you'd hit hard. If I have a maniac directly on my left, I leave the table.

gimmetheloot
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
if you are uncomfortable getting it in on a J high flop with J9s against this guy, you shouldnt be in the hand after his pf RR.

Nologo
11-16-2006, 04:26 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif having direct position on a maniac. Nothing shuts them down like calling behind them. Not with anything, obviously, but with decent hands. If you flop something and reasonably believe it's the best hand, call him down. Doing this two or three times tames them completely (or puts them on massive tilt so they're even easier to bust). Then you can stop playing passive and start stealing pots, they'll always show you more respect after you call them down a couple times with winners.

CaptUnlucky
11-16-2006, 06:11 PM
I open these types of hands a bit in EP, is that a problem? It's not like I raise J9s UTG 100% of the time.
Uhh... I have position on him in this hand.....

What hands should I be raising with here then? In LP? SB?

I'm rarely laying this down to his preflop reraise. Getting roughly 2-1, with position, plus ths fact he will massively overbet pot means I have already trapped him. I have no problem calling here, looking for a flop, but releasing if I don't hit it well (as in this case).

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably the worst excuse I ever heard, when someone is playing bad hand from UTG. Try to get used to fold this hand from EP and MP unless you are playing at the most passive table ever. This is a perfect example why you shouldn't play these hands especially when there's a maniac in your table. You hit the flop well and yet you don't know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit this flop well??? TPNK?? Plus I doubt that's the worst excuse you've ever heard /images/graemlins/wink.gif

What's my action if I have KJ or AJ here? What about 88-TT?

DeuceSeven
11-17-2006, 04:14 AM
If your read is that he overbets the flop when he misses then I guess you can think about calling, my only problem is he reraised you preflop. I would pick a better spot. The only reason I fold is villains preflop reraise.

eigenvalue
11-17-2006, 05:06 AM
No, that's wrong, I would play that from BTN or with some limpers in there. I would try to take some flops with the maniac, but never with trap hands OOP.

ablick
11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I open these types of hands a bit in EP, is that a problem? It's not like I raise J9s UTG 100% of the time.
Uhh... I have position on him in this hand.....

What hands should I be raising with here then? In LP? SB?

I'm rarely laying this down to his preflop reraise. Getting roughly 2-1, with position, plus ths fact he will massively overbet pot means I have already trapped him. I have no problem calling here, looking for a flop, but releasing if I don't hit it well (as in this case).

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably the worst excuse I ever heard, when someone is playing bad hand from UTG. Try to get used to fold this hand from EP and MP unless you are playing at the most passive table ever. This is a perfect example why you shouldn't play these hands especially when there's a maniac in your table. You hit the flop well and yet you don't know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit this flop well??? TPNK?? Plus I doubt that's the worst excuse you've ever heard /images/graemlins/wink.gif

What's my action if I have KJ or AJ here? What about 88-TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a problem!! Have you read any of these previous posts? You don’t have to care about your table image at these micro stakes tables that much and especially when there’s a maniac still to act. If you don’t believe us, that’s fine with me, just keep on playing that way and you’ll find out the right answer eventually yourself.

You said that you had 2-1 odds to call his preflop raise. What did you expect from the flop with those odds? If you’re referring to 2-1 odds, then I would say that you got the flop you were looking for. If you think that TPNK is no good here (which may very well be the case), why did you call with that preflop? I still think that you hit the flop very well, only problem is that you have very weak starting hand.

And seriously… Your excuse was probably the worst.

After reading all your posts, I’m starting to think that you are actually someone who is more advanced player than any of us and decided to post the most badly played hand you could think of, just to entertain yourself. But if you are real, start listening these advices or try to find other hobby. There’s nothing wrong asking these questions, but ignoring all the answers… But if you want to keep on playing like this, I bet that no-one is switching tables when you are there.