PDA

View Full Version : Universal Demand Law

John21
11-15-2006, 09:36 PM
DS made reference to Alf Temme and his Univeral Demand Law. One conclusion jumped out:

[ QUOTE ]
PROHIBITION ALWAYS FAILS
According to the Universal Demand Law, placing a heavy demand on illegal drug use will only increase the consumption of illegal drugs. According to the Universal Demand Law, prohibition is the wrong way to proceed against hard drugs or similarly desired (but generally un-desirable) substances or services (prostitution). Giving people the freedom to fail is always the lesser of the evils.

[/ QUOTE ]

So from a morality/ethic standpoint is "giving people the freedom to fail always the lesser of two evils?"

If you agree with his conclusion would you then be morally/ethically free to provide a product or service that could cause someone to fail?

ojc02
11-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Giving people the freedom to fail is a good thing, not the lesser of two evils. If anything, the evil is taking away peoples freedom to fail.

Kimbell175113
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Isn't poker the best example of this, anyway?

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't life the best example of this, anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimbell175113
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
That was quick.

ojc02
11-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Fortuna is the god of speed-posting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FortunaMaximus
11-17-2006, 01:57 AM
Femtoseconds never count when with females.

Misfire
11-17-2006, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So from a morality/ethic standpoint is "giving people the freedom to fail always the lesser of two evils?"

If you agree with his conclusion would you then be morally/ethically free to provide a product or service that could cause someone to fail?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lesser of two evils is still evil. While I morally oppose prohibiting drugs, prostitution, etc. (as it is a greater evil than permitting them), I also feel it would be immoral for me to become and active provider of those things.