PDA

View Full Version : 10 handed vs. 6 handed

Jatal
02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Lets say I'm three of the button giving me five players to act behind pre-flop.

I get KK.

If the table is 6 handed I'm are first to act and there is of cause some probability that someone has AA.

If the table is 10 handed and everyone folds to me. There are still 5 players to act behind me, the same as when 6 handed. And there is of cause also in this case some probability that someone has AA.

My question is if the probability is exactly the same?

More generally, if the table is 10 handed and folded to me like above, are not the risk of having quality hands behind me greater than if the table is 6 handed?

Jouster777
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes. Premium hands composed of high cards are less likely to have been in those 4 mucked hands so they are more likely in the remaining 42 unknown cards. Playable hands with low to mid PP's or SC's are probably not affected.

I think the phenomenon is known as bunching. Pretty weak effect overall.

smbruin22
02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
jouster is right....

abdul jahid talked about this in his short-handed article. you can assume SH is first 4 folded (except for the fact that the first 4 players had poor hands).

the last few twoplustwo magazines on this site had articles about bunching too. you could look them up on this site.

i think the twoplustwo article said that people might have folded A6 or K4 so good cards could have been folded, so minor effect... but at low limits, people love chasing the aces (K not as much)./

i wondered the opposite on 7-8 callers. probably means 3 aces minimum are out. so chances of you hitting your ace is greatly reduced.

interesting topic.

DrVanNostrin
02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the last few twoplustwo magazines on this site had articles about bunching too. you could look them up on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's the link (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue12/malmuth1205.html).

Unfortunately, part one is gone. Mason's summary of part 1:

"Last time we looked at why the idea of bunching, as it is normally used, is fairly worthless in hold 'em games".

Part 2 features a more applicable use of the concept and is a good read.