PDA

View Full Version : I played like a total donk last night...

Coffee
02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I played in a 1/2 NL game last night. I really didn't set out to play overly loose, donkish, or anything else. Usually, I'm a solid player who makes accurate reads and can make the right moves to win. Last night, it was like I had never played outside of a home game.

At one point, I was up 300...which is quite a bit in a 1/2 game where most are buying in for 200. Did the thought occur to me that I should leave? Yep. Did I leave? No. Was it because the game was just that good? No. I end up spiraling back down to even, via two or three badly played hands where I knew better than to do what I did.

Needless to say, I'm a little shaken up. Anybody else have off nights where it's not your A game, not your B game...hell, not even your C game? If the cards had not been reasonably friendly to me, it would have been a down-to-the-felt evening. I'm just wondering if it was a fluke, or the signal that I've developed some poor habits in the last few weeks(I've been playing online).

Reef
02-01-2006, 07:25 PM
um... 1.5 buyins is a big swing ??

sublyme
02-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I re-bought into a homegame tourney 4 times the other night and steamed so freakin' much, it was terrible. Immediatly following my fourth rebuy there was a raise and I pushed with pocket 10's and immediatly got called by AA. Turns out another player folded a 10, but I rivered the case 10 for a set and built my way back, eventually chopping the pot. Still, terrible poker from me.

hackmonkey
02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
I am going through the same thing right now except mine is spread over a week. Check my thread (vacation=donk?) Cant find my groove, not paying attention to my first instincts and over thinking hands that would of been robotic a month ago.
I am trying to convince myself it is variance and that nobody becomes a bad player over night. I am thinking of just getting back to being a student of the game for a week or two and stay off the tables. As well as get rid of all the extra-curricular things around playing online poker..i.e: browsing the internet, having the tv on, playing in rooms that have other people in them. You know try to get back into that groove. Good luck to you, repost if it gets worse or better.

hackmonkey

Coffee
02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
um... 1.5 buyins is a big swing ??

[/ QUOTE ]

No...statistically irrelevant...it's the way I lost it that is the concern...not the amount.