PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fightingbee
11-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Playing an online game. For me, online play is very difficult for the simple fact that I can't watch people to pick up any tells. I play to get more hands under my belt and become accustomed to hard reads.

Now here is the set up:

4 handed game.
Seat 8 ($350) is on the button.
I'm seat 4($3,750)(BB), players at seats 7($1,060) and 9 ($6,755)(SB).
I'm dealt 9hAd.
Seat 7 raises to 60, seat 8 calls. 9 Folds. I call.
The flop comes 9s 2h 6c.
I beat $90, seat 7 raises all in to make it $1,060 total. Seat 8 Folds, action to me.

In my mind I'm holding top pair, with an excellent kicker. Watching seat 7 I know that she/he is A) Very loose B) Calls a ton C) Likes to bluff. I don't have the right odds in my mind, said player could be holding a pocket middle pair. Although I put them on Ace something, much like myself. Probablly Ax 6x.

With this information, what would YOU do? I'll come back later and post up the action after that.

bbartlog
11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Easy fold IMO. I'm not going to call a bet for 5x the pot with TPTK. Granted, from some players this overbet could signify weakness, but I've certainly seen (and used) the opposite tactic of overbetting with a very strong hand to convince a thinking player that I was semibluffing with a draw or the like. Too easy to be up against an overpair or a set...

alanbrown
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm confused. Is this a SNG game? What are the blinds? It seems like the blinds are still low but 6 people are knocked out.

Also, I'd need to know more about your read. Has he made a lot of all ins on raggy flops? How have you seen him play big pairs PF before? I might call with the right read here. Though I'd have to fold without a strong read otherwise.

PantsOnFire
11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think there is much you can beat. K9 seems unlikely as does A6. 1010-AA seems likely as do any PP to make a set although a good player would milk a set with this board.

The only hands that make sense and you would like to see are 88 and 77. Your play really depends on the betting pattern of that player and how likely each of the hands I have mentioned are.

My instinct is to fold unless I have a very reliable read.

.KeviN.
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
is this a cash game?? in the future you should browse the forums before making posts, it doesn't even belong in Poker Theory...assuming this is a cash game I fold, assuming this is beginning-middle stages of a sng I fold, the only time is when I call is late in a tourny when I need to beat the blinds.

restrikt
11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Instacall.

Fightingbee
11-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I called. Why? I have top pair on the board. Sure, seat 7 *could* have a pocket pair and attempting a slow play. I however didn't feel it nor did I believe it.

So I call. Seat 7 shows me 5s, 2d. I clap inside my head for a great call.

The turn comes out a 4d. I'm sitting golden, right? Great call!

The river card comes out a 2s.

I check my emotions, even though a big "WTF was that?" is rolling inside of my head. I make conversation with the other person, praise them for a great hand and inquire as to why they went all in with two over cards on the flop and facing possible higher pocket pairs. The answer was "I thought I had the best hand at the time."

Thats poker.

Bantam222
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
i cant tell if this is a SNG but if it is a cash game i don't like this call unless you have a better read then "very loose, likes to bluff a lot." Is he willing to bluff all in alot? or small pot sized stuff?