PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with min betting donks

Roadstar
11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
As a preflop raiser, how do you deal with ppl min donking into you when you missed?

Lets say your read on villain is that these min bets either mean a weak pair (middle or bottom) or a draw. However you aren't sure which one it is. Also, villain is a little loose postflop, which means he will tend to call raises more often than he should.

Under what conditions would we try to raise w/ A hi to push villain off? If we don't do that, how do we prevent villain from playing well by value mindonking the entire hand with bottom pair?

Example:

NL 50 6 max, full stacks, villain in BB.

Hero gets A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif in CO.

1 limper, hero raises to $2.50, BB calls, limper folds.

Flop T /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets $0.50, Hero calls?

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River

J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Here we get shown 76o possibly as often as x /images/graemlins/club.gifx /images/graemlins/club.gif

How to deal with this?

Thanks,

Roadstar

dd323
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
continuation bet his "check".

eviljeff
11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
yep, treat it as a check

dashman
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I like to 3bet the minraise if I was the preflop aggresor, as you said that normally means mid/weak pair/draw. Ive been finding that most of the time when i 3bet raise them they normally fold, especially if your table image is strong. Sometimes they will call the raise just reevaluate on turn. If turn blanks, I will normally follow up with another barrel, which if they have what i think they do normally means a fold also. Sometimes it just takes 2 shots to kill a donk. Also I agree with the play if you flat call the flop and they check then on turn 2/3 pot it, normally = fold for villain.

ticks
11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I just love when people minbet in position with their draws.
(edit:and OOP as well of course, but it just makes even less sense in pos.)
I dont really understand why they do it.
They would be sooo much better off just checking,
since I always checkraise and they usually fold.
And if they call they are in even more trouble,
since their hand is face up,
and they are forced to fold to another barrel when their draw doesnt hit.
[/random rambling hijack]

Roadstar
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
So you would raise it to $4.50-$5.00 on the flop? I think your suggestion is good for most villains.

How about against passive/poor villains who will likely call with mid pair or flush draw? We're essentially no better than 50/50 against this range (probably slightly worse).

Call down or just fold say on the turn?

These villains have really been frustrating me... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ticks
11-15-2006, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you would raise it to $4.50-$5.00 on the flop? I think your suggestion is good for most villains.

How about against passive/poor villains who will likely call with mid pair or flush draw? We're essentially no better than 50/50 against this range (probably slightly worse).

Call down or just fold say on the turn?

These villains have really been frustrating me... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ALWAYS RAISE MINBETS IN HU POTS.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.
I DOESNT MATTER IF IT IS A LIMPED OR RAISED POT.
RAISE RAISE RAISE.

dashman
11-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Didnt total the pot before first post /images/graemlins/wink.gif....yeah i think you have to raise it to at least $4 to give him just under odds to call a straight/flush draw....$4-5 is probably good. Against Passive poor villains ive been having a similar problem because some will fold and some will flat call down. I think you still need to raise though, because if you hit a hand youll get paid off, this hand or a later hand and that way youll stay consistent. Against passive/poor I think you raise flop check turn to peel free card.

*Also, here is another suggestion. I recently added (villains stats)call cbet, raise cbet, fold cbet to my HUD, which helps alot in determing what the donkapotomous will do.

GtrHtr
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
raise more preflop, discourage them with pain. 1 limper, $3.

raise the flop to pot (including his bet). re-evaluated if you get played back at.

wslee00
11-15-2006, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop to pot (including his bet). re-evaluated if you get played back at.

[/ QUOTE ]
no - for min-bets, i think treating it as a check is better. If he calls the c-bet, I'd have to see if I want to fire a second barrel based on the board and opponent.

kabouter
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I too am having problems with this. For example I raise it up preflop to $1, then the flop comes, and I missed it now the villain is first to act and bets $0,50 in a $2,50 pot. Now this isn't a sign of weakness, but just a villain who can't bet the correct amounts. I can reraise all I want but he won't go away.

Anyone else encountered these? I usually call these when I'm on a draw, but what do I need to do if I got AdKd for example, and the flop comes Qc Qh 4h, and the villain minibets?

Shaddux
11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Raise flop usually

GtrHtr
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no - for min-bets, i think treating it as a check is better. If he calls the c-bet, I'd have to see if I want to fire a second barrel based on the board and opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, whatever, raise the flop, 3/4 pot, full pot whatever.