PDA

View Full Version : 25NL 6m - I Flop Top and Bottom pair, I get miniraised

homeslice
11-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Villian is an unknown, he took out a short stack with his AA. This is his second orbit. When he min-raised me on the flop, I was a little lost, since he limped under the gun the only hands that I was thinking he may have at this point were 44, KJs+. But since I have a 4 it's unlikely he has a set. So how would you respond to his miniraise. I believe I'm ahead here, but I want to extract value, would you bet around $10 or would you push?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($29.25)
MP ($23)
Button ($14.35)
SB ($4.65)
Hero ($36.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.10) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.6</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Hero ???

ama0330
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I am calling this, and re-evaluating. I think that re-raising is not good poker because the pot is very small and you both have a lot of money behind. To raise again or push would be to bloat a pot in which you dont know where you stand. I'm thinking of two possible lines:

Pot control
This is a good spot for pot control, as you are not sure where you stand but I think that you want to see a showdown. I flat call his minraise, and then I check the turn. I will call a psb on the turn and block the river for about 1/2 pot, folding to a raise. This is of course assuming that he doesn't do anything crazy on you like 5x overbet the pot.

Aggression
The other thing you can try is to flat call his raise then lead the (safe) turn for like 4/5ths of the pot. This will likely fold out anyone who was making a move with a FD and if you are re-raised you can safely fold, as you have taken a very strong line.

homeslice
11-15-2006, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am calling this, and re-evaluating. I think that re-raising is not good poker because the pot is very small and you both have a lot of money behind. To raise again or push would be to bloat a pot in which you dont know where you stand. I'm thinking of two possible lines:

Pot control
This is a good spot for pot control, as you are not sure where you stand but I think that you want to see a showdown. I flat call his minraise, and then I check the turn. I will call a psb on the turn and block the river for about 1/2 pot, folding to a raise. This is of course assuming that he doesn't do anything crazy on you like 5x overbet the pot.

Aggression
The other thing you can try is to flat call his raise then lead the (safe) turn for like 4/5ths of the pot. This will likely fold out anyone who was making a move with a FD and if you are re-raised you can safely fold, as you have taken a very strong line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ama!!!

arden street
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
*grunch*

i think a $10 big bet or push will result in a fold 95% of the time (he'll only call with a very rare (limped AT,TT?) better hand)

i guess the value in your hand is making him pay too much for a possible draw. a 3bet of $5 might keep him interested but be +EV for you.

arden street
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Pot control
...... I flat call his minraise, and then I check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this gives villian 2 cards at no expense? i can't see the value in this play? (not saying it's not there btw i just don't get it).

The 'aggressive approach' gives 1 free card but isn't the idea to make 'em pay?

Sir Winalot
11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I would raise to 7. That makes the stacks good for a turn push.

ama0330
11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pot control
...... I flat call his minraise, and then I check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this gives villian 2 cards at no expense? i can't see the value in this play? (not saying it's not there btw i just don't get it).

The 'aggressive approach' gives 1 free card but isn't the idea to make 'em pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in charging for draws if he's not drawing. If you have a read that he is likely to be holding a draw or a hand which beats you then it is fine to tailor your play to that specific situation, but as it is you have to play against his range. There is no point betting the full pot on the turn only to be raised, or to be called down then pushed off your hand on the river. The general rule is that if you are way ahead or way behind, you should try and get to showdown as cheaply as possible because you are not sure enough of where you stand to make one play or the other.

ama0330
11-15-2006, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think a $10 big bet or push will result in a fold 95% of the time (he'll only call with a very rare (limped AT,TT?) better hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Any bet which causes better hands to call and worse hands to fold is not a good bet.