PDA

View Full Version : Ken Warren's Winner's Guide to Omaha vs. TJ's Championship Omaha

KashHunt
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I've heard some mixed reviews about the two books: Ken Warren's Winner's Guide to Omaha Poker and Championship Omaha by McEvoy and TJ Cloutier.

Which book do you think does a better job at teach the game?

Thanks in advance.

ECDub
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I was looking for for a good Omaha book recently and it seems like there is a mixed review on all of the Omaha books. There has not been an Omaha book that I have seen that has risen to the level that it is the best on the subject (based on reviews I have read). If I were going to get one of the two books mentioned, I would go with T.J.'s book. Maybe some new Omaha books will come out soon that give us more options.

JackCase
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've heard some mixed reviews about the two books: Ken Warren's Winner's Guide to Omaha Poker and Championship Omaha by McEvoy and TJ Cloutier.

Which book do you think does a better job at teach the game?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither. A beginner should start with Tenner and Kreiger, and the advanced work is Ray Zee. Also, the O/8 section in SS2 is very good. For Omaha high only, Ciaffone's book is good but hard to find.

hampi32
02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
My best advice to you is to stay away from Ken Warren`s book. I have read it twice and I still dont know anything about Omaha. Maybe I am a bit stupid, but its really not a good book.

JaredL
02-01-2006, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My best advice to you is to stay away from Ken Warren`s book. I have read it twice and I still dont know anything about Omaha. Maybe I am a bit stupid, but its really not a good book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read his Omaha book but his hold'em book is bad. My guess is that you actually know, in some sense, less than you did before you read the book twice.

Welcome to the forums. With a first post like that you'll fit right in.

gergery
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
This is sort of like asking "which is more fun, pounding a nail into your foot or your hand?"

-g

Guthrie
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Ken Warren's hold'em book set me back about six months, so I doubt I'll be buying his Omaha book.

Gelford
02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
McEvoy and Warren ... They really ought to partner up and write a pokerbible covering all the popular pokergames.

That would ROCK !!

steamboatin
02-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Winning Omaha/8 Poker by Tenner & Krieger seems to be pretty good. I am rereading it again. My first impression from a holdem point of view was it was weak tight. After about 12K hands and lots of red ink in Poker Tracker Omaha, I believe my first impression was incorrect.

It has a lot of good advice.

Bob Ciaffone's Omaha book is available from the Gambler's book store in Las Vegas, $16. It is a spiral bound book and not very big, but really good.

Ray Zee's book rocks, it is for advanced players but unfortunetly, I am not one. Absolutely buy Ray Zee's book.