PDA

View Full Version : 25 NL - what to do when your overpair is RR?

Nuprin
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $25.40
hero: $24.90
CO: $5.95
Button: $4.35
SB: $15.50
BB: $35.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $1</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif ($3.1, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $3</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $10</font>, hero ???

Find a better place or push?

Thanks
nuprin

homeslice
11-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Any reads on villian?

Has he been agressive with TPTK before?

W/O reads there's a chance were behind. I fold here

cestlavie
11-14-2006, 09:01 PM
This, if anything, is a read-based play. Does he have any idea about position when he calls your raise from MP on BB? He has to play the rest of the hand OOP. In general, how tight is he? How about aggression pre- and postflop? This is a coordinated board. He could a flush draw and a pair with an overcard kicker, slowplayed overpair AA-JJ, 55, 99, TT, T9, QJ, 87. Or if he's tricky he could have a pocket pair 22-44, 66-88 and tries to make you fold, thinking you hold something like AK-AJ.

Nuprin
11-14-2006, 09:18 PM
no reads - less than 10 hands at the table. He isn't going crazy, but he's played a few hands too

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 09:54 PM
folding overpairs against unknowns makes baby jesus cry

Marshall28
11-14-2006, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
folding overpairs against unknowns makes baby jesus cry

[/ QUOTE ]

i maybe wouldnt have worded it like this .. but hes got the right idea.

even if u r beat, u cant fold here. if u did, its inviting people to walk all over you when u have an overpair ...

he could just as easily be making this play w/ A10 as w/ 1010.

easy reshove. if u lose, not too much u can do

Jay Riall
11-14-2006, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on villian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one. Overpairs are the nuts at this level. Shove.

homeslice
11-14-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???

Jay Riall
11-14-2006, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???

[/ QUOTE ]

All day.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???

[/ QUOTE ]

you will never get anywhere playing nl if you fold an overpair every time you get raised, especially without a read.

Sir Winalot
11-15-2006, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???

[/ QUOTE ]

All day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Twice on saturdays.

OneBigRed
11-15-2006, 08:02 AM
There's enough chance its a draw or he's trying to show you that CB'ing is futile. Instashove it.

lacrymosa
11-15-2006, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reads on villian?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this level and in this situation I never fold

Ben K
11-15-2006, 09:22 AM
One thing not mentioned so far is that if you have no reads, it's likely he has no reads on you. He doesn't know your c-bet frequency so could easily have top pair or second pair (seen it done many times).

Too many unknown factors. You have a hand. You want control of the table. Push.

ama0330
11-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Given that the raise is pretty "competent" - i.e. the amount seems to indicate that he's not a total moron - I think that you can range him on both the straight and flush draw here just as well as you can put him on a hand that beats you.

I'll admit, I've lost a couple of these types of hands but you just can't fold an overpair without a read. I've won a lot of hands where either the villain has folded or had a draw too.

Note that if the flop was drier and I had a good read that this would be a fold. Its just that the straight and flush draws are out there too, and you have to give them some weight because its more likely for hands like sets and two pairs to lead this flop - they will be as afraid of the draws out there as you are. Why check raise and scare away your opponent?

arden street
11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
*grunch*

a tough spot. how can you fold against a likely draw yet avoid getting stacked by a set?

so he could have a draw -- have you seen him play draws like this at all? also what is the chance he's not believing you're Cbet and so making a play at you? (what's your image, he an aggro player?). hard to have a read many of the time though

i don't reckon i would fold here. a push looks good. i think the chances of him having a draw or bluffing or AK, QQ, JJ are ahead of him having a better hand than you.

Check_The_Nuts
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't like shoving. I do like felting most turns tho.

I suppose this line is better with the K of clubs.

wslee00
11-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm shoving this w/o a read, but I'm not liking it. why does everyone find this hand such an easy shove? He can have a set, or two pair. I highly doubt he's doing this w/ a lone T. if he has a draw, yeah - you have to stick it in, but even then you're only a 2-1 favorite.

Board: 5d Tc 9c
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 45.2685 % 45.27% 00.00% { KhKs }
Hand 2: 54.7315 % 54.73% 00.00% { TT-99, 55, AcKc, AcQc, AcJc, Ac8c, QJs, T9s, QJo, T9o }

There's my range for villain.

On a sidenote, is there a way in pokerstove to say Ax of clubs or something like that?