PDA

View Full Version : 50NL 6Max - Villain doesn't cbet when HU

redCashion
11-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Just a line check. No reads on villain, he had tight stats like 13/8/2. Usually in this spot when I bet I get raised off the hand, I'm not sure TT is anything more than being played for a set in this spot, but he could have reraised with AK preflop. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

Button ($56.15)
SB ($50.70)
BB ($50)
Hero ($50)
MP ($39)
CO ($59.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($10.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($10.50) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $17.50

bk1
11-14-2006, 02:49 AM
you could have re-raise him preflop.

or

you could have bet on the flop.

redCashion
11-14-2006, 02:57 AM
I realize that those are options.

Push_Fold
11-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Folding the turn is ultra weak. If you're going to play that passive at least C/C turn and river.

InfectorGadget
11-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Does the title mean that this villain never Cbets or just didnt do it this time?

I have a hard time seeing anything you beat here. When villains reraise PF and then goes check on the flop, something seems weird, but if hes done this before then call and evaluate.

redCashion
11-14-2006, 03:17 AM
I hadn't played enough hands with him to know if this is his MO Infector, but my guess is that it isn't. Who doesn't cbet? So I feel like one of two things happened, either he is ultra strong and was going for the c/r (which is weird), or he made some mini-stab preflop, and was giving up on the flop.

The reason I didn't bet at it on the flop is that people checking cbets when heads up is so rare, but literally every time in recent memory that I've bet into a situation like that I've been c/red.

eigenvalue
11-14-2006, 03:18 AM
You have to bet the flop to find out where You stand. If You are reraised again, You should fold without any reads or any history. If not and You get called, I would bet the turn again if he checks. Once again, I would fold to a reraise.

But if You don't bet, You'll never find out whether he had AK!

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 03:20 AM
if villains 3-bet range is really that tight, whatever.
fwiw some villains are just tards who don't cbet, w/o reads i would want to show this down, or at least call the turn bet and reevaluate the river

InfectorGadget
11-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Yes, I see almost the same thing. Its extremely rare to see villains check after reraising PF, atleast a villain with those stats. I wont complain playing TT for set value here, probably wouldve done the same, though it seems very weak /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sir Winalot
11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you could have re-raise him preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain here is 13/8/2, I don't think this is a very good idea.

I also like the flop check but I probably call turn and see what happens on the river because I think folding is a little weak here and raising isn't that good either.

[ QUOTE ]
You have to bet the flop to find out where You stand. If You are reraised again, You should fold without any reads or any history. If not and You get called, I would bet the turn again if he checks. Once again, I would fold to a reraise.

But if You don't bet, You'll never find out whether he had AK!

[/ QUOTE ]
Not again this same define-our-hand mumbo jumbo. I absolutely hate this idea, where do you get this [censored] from?

tomonbass
11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
fold preflop when A nit reraises hes got the goods /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dont like too much heat with these mid pairs... If a pot is being built I want to be in the lead...

Your not in control of this hand cut your losses early and fold....

Jouster777
11-14-2006, 10:04 AM
So someone with these stats is likely to have AK/QQ+ here. Thats 16 combos you beat and 18 you don't. IF you know he will fold AK to your flop bet then it would make sense to throw ~$7.50 out there and see what he does. That's very thin EV though - after the flop bet we have to pretty much shut down. The chance we have too tight a range is balanced by all the times he calls with a lesser hand and then bets the river.

There will be enough villains who will just check down AK here thinking you both missed. Absent a stronger read I don't see a problem with the hand as played - unless we have a plan to try to push him off AA.

kolotoure
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
3-betting this villain preflop is terrible. Have you seen his stats?

Sir Winalot
11-14-2006, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop when A nit reraises hes got the goods /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dont like too much heat with these mid pairs... If a pot is being built I want to be in the lead...

Your not in control of this hand cut your losses early and fold....

[/ QUOTE ]
With 5-10 rule and the knowlidge that nits usually won't fold their monster when they finally get one, I think this is a easy call for set value.

Also, I think villain has AA or KK very rarely as he would allways bet the flop for value, most likely QQ too. I think we'll see most of the time AK with a delayed c-bet, maybe sometimes QQ or AQ.

Jouster777
11-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Are you responding to me?...I didn't suggest that

Jigsaws
11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't hate checking the flop. I usually just bet it, and then shut down if raised, but I think checking and calling the turn bet is fine. Just check-folding sucks, I think.

redCashion
11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think villain has AA or KK very rarely as he would allways bet the flop for value, most likely QQ too. I think we'll see most of the time AK with a delayed c-bet, maybe sometimes QQ or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some ways, assuming a competent villain (and his stats suggest he is at least competent) the flop check suggests he is trying to set up a play against an aggressive player. Who doesn't cbet AK? Would it be fair to say that it is more likely villain checks KK+ looking to c/r rather than that he is weak/weird enough to not cbet AK? Both plays are odd, but I'm wondering which is more likely and in my experience, the former is the one I've encountered more often.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't hate checking the flop. I usually just bet it, and then shut down if raised, but I think checking and calling the turn bet is fine. Just check-folding sucks, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it sucks. Given his range I am up against a likely JJ+ (maybe QQ+) or AK. If I call his $7, I am committing to call his river bet (why would I call turn and fold river?). By that time the pot is up to $24 and I could easily be looking at a $15+ bet. Once I check the flop, I've given up any initiative I could have had in this hand and it's time to move on if I don't hit my set on the turn.