PDA

View Full Version : Rebuying when you lose a pot?

kassdog
11-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm new to the world of NL and I have a strange question. When I'm playing and lose more than 25% of my stack I tend to rebuy for the full amount incase I get a big hand I can get more with. This also has a negative effect that when I lose I lose more. What is everyone's opinion on this.

Panthro
11-13-2006, 10:53 PM
I reload after posting the blinds lol. I think it's standard 'round 2p2 to reload to the maximum at all times.

CrustyFace
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah i reload too.

You have to have money there to win money. The number of times i see someone sitting at .10/.25 with like 10 bux, like what's the point.

Sean Fraley
11-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Don't keep refilling your stack little by little, since this keeps you from having a clear idea how you are doing that session. On the other hand, if you get stacked in a pot, take a moment to examine the hand. If you were the victim of a bad beat, rebuy and keep playing. If you got stacked due to bad decision making on your part, leave the table and take a break.

TJgniL
11-13-2006, 11:02 PM
I usually rebuy (started this after seeing it here) if I'm down > 4/5BBs.

Tickner
11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
I rebuy any time I dont have 100BBs.

CaucasianAsian29
11-14-2006, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerchap
11-14-2006, 12:16 AM
if i get below 90bb i usually reload.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
i also try to reload during every hand where i will drop below 90bb. i find it very soothing psychologically because i'm always prepared for the worst, thus the outcome doesn't matter

kassdog
11-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that does this, thats good.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 12:27 AM
no one wants to flop a set without mobnies in front of them!

VorShot
11-14-2006, 12:37 AM
When i post blinds, i reload.
Everytime i raise a hand preflop, i click the reload max choice in case i end up at the felt with it before it's over.

Folding a non blind or when i have more then 100BB is the only time i don't click reload.

It becomes so reaction that i always have to make myself stop looking for it in tournys.

Tien
11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
I would reload like its a compulsive disorder.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-14-2006, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It becomes so reaction that i always have to make myself stop looking for it in tournys.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah i keep trying to do it say when i drop from 200 to 180bbs for example, and i can't ever figure out why it won't let me reload

orange
11-14-2006, 01:26 AM
everytime.

kongs
11-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Always reload, when you stack someone you will have just that much more money which adds up over time.

limit refugee
11-14-2006, 01:49 AM
As soon as I fire a second barrel or an expensive c-bet...usually its done before the villain has a chance to call or fold.

______y0
11-14-2006, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i do as well y0!

redCashion
11-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Some days I'm better about keeping up with it than others, it's kind of a pain while multi-tabling.

I don't understand why they don't allow for an auto-mated rebuy, it would only be pumping more money into the games. Though maybe they are protecting the donks from running through their money any faster than they have to.

PietM
11-14-2006, 02:56 AM
I use an AHK-script for reloading (got it from the Software forum (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=software)). When I'm below 95BB's at one of my tables I hit F12 (the hotkey is assigned to it) and it auto-reloads on all my PokerStars tables to the max.

Sir Winalot
11-14-2006, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if i get below 90bb i usually reload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Epple
11-14-2006, 08:14 AM
I usually don't reload until i lose it all. Keeps you from losing less when your on tilt.

Sir Winalot
11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't reload until i lose it all. Keeps you from losing less when your on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggest you start reloading if you keep playing and stop playing when you start tilting.

Wolfram
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Always reload. And here's why:

Let's say you have $100. You lose $12 on a failed c-bet. Then you raise preflop and take it down with a c-bet, winning you $5. Your stack right now is $93. Then you get 55 on the button and call a raise. Raiser has $200.

Flop is K95r and you 3bet AI with your set. Opponent calls with his AK and you stack him. You make $93 on the hand.

Problem is you aren't making the max. And in this case the max isn't a full stack, it's actually more. If you had reloaded after losing the $12 you would have brought your stack up to $105 with the following successful c-bet and then made $105 on the set. That's a 13% increase in profit.

Another reason is that bigger stacks give skilled players a bigger edge.

[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't reload until i lose it all. Keeps you from losing [more] when your on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
And it minimizes your profit when you aren't on tilt. Solution: don't tilt (very hard) or stop playing when you feel you aren't playing your best (much more realistic).

[ QUOTE ]
Don't keep refilling your stack little by little, since this keeps you from having a clear idea how you are doing that session.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get Pokertracker.

Epple
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Short stack play does have its advantages. I find you usually get more action.

Also can't be driven off your hand because your denying implied odds.

Wolfram
11-14-2006, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been discussed to death and mostly the results are: if you play well and are properly rolled for the game then don't play short.

Edit:
Here are some of the reasons short stacks suck:

1. You're denying implied odds, sure, but you aren't getting any either. Playing short takes away our biggest stacking weapon (calling with small PP and hitting a set).

2. Any hand you raise is basically fit or fold. You either go all-in on the flop or you don't. You are basically married to the hand. Makes it very hard to play OOP vs. calling stations when you wiff the flop.

3. It's very easy to play correctly vs a short stack. It forces a mediocre TAG to play perfect poker vs. you.

4. Playing short is boooring.

5. Playing short means there's no room for post-flop play, and post-flop is where bad players make the biggest mistakes. This decreases your edge (assuming you are a good).

I'm probably repeating myself in some of these but my oppinion is this: If you can't play deep stacked NL, try LHE. It's more fun than short NL and you make more money in the long run. Or try SNG's. Then everyone is short and you can learn to push-bot the endgame for even more profit.

Everlong
11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Always reload. And here's why:

Let's say you have $100. You lose $12 on a failed c-bet. Then you raise preflop and take it down with a c-bet, winning you $5. Your stack right now is $93. Then you get 55 on the button and call a raise. Raiser has $200.

Flop is K95r and you 3bet AI with your set. Opponent calls with his AK and you stack him. You make $93 on the hand.

Problem is you aren't making the max. And in this case the max isn't a full stack, it's actually more. If you had reloaded after losing the $12 you would have brought your stack up to $105 with the following successful c-bet and then made $105 on the set. That's a 13% increase in profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

nicely explained /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Epple
11-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Usually when your losing, your playing worse than usual, or the opponents are outclassing you.

Downside protection better than upside maximization IMO at that point. When you winning your stack is higher, probably because your outplaying your field or they are on tilt.

Sir Winalot
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggest you read this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=microplnl&Number=7964709& Searchpage=1&Main=7964709&Words=short++Pokey&topic =&Search=true#Post7964709) by Pokey on why not to play shortstacked.

Wolfram
11-14-2006, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually when your losing, your playing worse than usual, or the opponents are outclassing you.

[/ QUOTE ]
For a winning player, this is just wrong. If a winning player is losing, it's usually due to a downswing in variance (i.e. bad luck/suckouts).

A huge part of successful poker is to recognize when you're on tilt and stop playing. Then you go do whatever it is you do to stop tilting (for me, sleep is the best medicine).

Another huge part of successful poker is evaluating your opposition (table selection). If you feel you don't have an edge on your opponents, then you need to move tables.

[ QUOTE ]
Downside protection better than upside maximization IMO at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your only consideration should be maximization of profits. As long as you're properly rolled for the game (> 20 buyins) you don't have to worry about downswings, and if you are good enough to recognize when you're tilting/outmatched then find another game or stop playing. If you aren't good enough to recognize those instances then work on it. Don't rely on a crutch like short stacks. It'll hobble your game.

SavageMiser
11-14-2006, 09:28 AM
I try to reload as soon as I'm out of the blinds.

And Epple, the best way to minimize losses while tilting is to stop playing.

Enough of this talk of minimizing losses, anyway. Maximize your winnings.

Elverian
11-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Always keep your stack close to the maximum buy in level.
I'll never get below 80% of the maximum buy in before topping up.

Last thing you want is to get a lock hand against some big stacks when you have no ammunition to take advantage.

xwillience
11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Another rebuy thread.... jesus christ.

somebody should just sticky one of these and be done with it.