PDA

View Full Version : What about sports betting?

hmkpoker
11-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I live in the US and bet on sports. I joined up with Canbet today and they said they no longer offer their poker services to the US, but they still offer sports betting lines.

What's the deal? Is there some exclusivity in sports betting or does the new legislation apply particularly to poker or what?

permafrost
11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in the US and bet on sports. I joined up with Canbet today and they said they no longer offer their poker services to the US, but they still offer sports betting lines.

What's the deal? Is there some exclusivity in sports betting or does the new legislation apply particularly to poker or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your 'sports' bet illegal by either State or Federal law?

If yes, the new law applies to that example of unlawful internet gambling.

BluffTHIS!
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
hmk,

That is because canbet belonged to a network for its poker operations and that no longer takes US players, unlike Bodog which has its own poker site as well as sports site. Same for WSEX.

hmkpoker
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info

Sand
11-14-2006, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough sports betting is specifically against the law - it was what the 1961 Wire Act was designed to stop.

Poker is in a gray area. Courts have ruled that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting. The DOJ claims it applies to all gambling.

Self Made
11-14-2006, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sports betting is specifically against the law - it was what the 1961 Wire Act was designed to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a common misconception. It's running a sportsbetting operation that violates the wire act. Read the text: it's pretty clear on that point. If a bettor is doing anything illegal, it'll be because of state law.

permafrost
11-14-2006, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sports betting is specifically against the law - it was what the 1961 Wire Act was designed to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's running a sportsbetting operation that violates the wire act.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'sportsbetting operation' does not violate the Wire Act until it transmits bets on a sporting contest, in interstate commerce, and violates a State gambling law in the process. If the bettor or the business are doing anything illegal, it is because of State law.

Wake up CALL
11-14-2006, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'sportsbetting operation' does not violate the Wire Act until it transmits bets on a sporting contest, in interstate commerce, and violates a State gambling law in the process. If the bettor or the business are doing anything illegal, it is because of State law.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect:

1961 Wire Act (http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Federal-Laws/wire-act.htm)

permafrost
11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect:

1961 Wire Act (http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Federal-Laws/wire-act.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that the linked page shows my statement is incorrect? Please share what leads to your decision.

Self Made
11-15-2006, 02:58 AM
I think he means it doesn't have to violate a state law to violate the wire act. The text is here (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001084----000-.html).

permafrost
11-15-2006, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he means it doesn't have to violate a state law to violate the wire act. The text is here (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001084----000-.html).

[/ QUOTE ]

What causes a Wire Act violation to apply to a 'sportsbetting' business transmitting bets between two States that have legal 'sportsbetting'?

Wake up CALL
11-15-2006, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What causes a Wire Act violation to apply to a 'sportsbetting' business transmitting bets between two States that have legal 'sportsbetting'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alice in Wonderland??? The Wire Act mkakes it illegal, understand now? I'll help more, Hint: Interstate Commerce

Bonus Question: Please name two US States that have legal sportsbetting?

permafrost
11-15-2006, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alice in Wonderland??? The Wire Act mkakes it illegal, understand now? I'll help more, Hint: Interstate Commerce

[/ QUOTE ]

No, more like the Cheshire Cat. No it doesn't; and no I dont. Thanks for the hint(?).

Here's some 'hints' for you. The Wire Act does not apply unless a State law is violated; read below please.
[ QUOTE ]
1084. Transmission of wagering information; penalties

(b) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of information for use in news reporting of sporting events or contests, or for the transmission of information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on a sporting event or contest from a State or foreign country where betting on that sporting event or contest is legal into a State or foreign country in which such betting is legal.

[/ QUOTE ] It doesn't prevent or apply penalties for transmitting bets on sports from or to States where it is legal.

As to your
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus Question: Please name two US States that have llegal sportsbetting?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if any State has made 'sportsbetting' legal (never said I did know any). That presumed State illegality is precisely the only reason I know of for the Wire Act to apply. No State illegality, no Wire Act to make it more illegal.

A sportsbetting' business could also take illegal intrastate bets and not violate the Wire Act.

If you are saying something else makes the Wire act apply other than State law violations, please share. Until then, you are welcome to your convoluted and mistaken belief that the Wire Act applies where you decree that it applies.

Wake up CALL
11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of information for use in news reporting of sporting events or contests, or for the transmission of information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on a sporting event or contest from a State or foreign country where betting on that sporting event or contest is legal into a State or foreign country in which such betting is legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please reread this section 100 times, afterwards if you still do not understand why you are mistaken please post again.

Hint #2 I highlighted the portion of your post quotation that you cannot understand. Perhaps the bold lettering will make it clear as to why you are mistaken.