PDA

View Full Version : Spotting a set when you Hold top 2

Bartzini
11-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Probably a played out question im sure is tough to answer, but how do you do it. How do you avoid loosing a lot of money when you hold top two to a small set.

Case in point another micro limit hand at .10/.25 NL

Im in the BB with K5 its limped about 6 ways around to me and i check.

Flop is K 5 2, rainbowed.

I check and the board checks around to me again.

turn comes 3, and i bet the pot.

One caller from a player i have 0 read on as this is my third hand at this table.

River comes 7, technically negating my top two, but could i really think this 7 helps anything he may have??

i check hoping to just show down here...and he fires a pot sized bet.

ughh...i think, well id make that play (bluff) if i had position on what seems to be a weak BB hand, i dont like the call but i make it anyway..and he shows pocket 2's for a set.

oh well? or should i have folded? This happend once more when i held AJ and the flop was AJ6 i lost to pocket 6's in much the same fashion, i think a bit bigger pot.

badly played? or is this just one of those situations you run in to and try not to loose too much on?

dedmoney
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I bet on the river, probably 1/3 the pot. obviously if he raises, I'll drop, but I think a lot of times you'll get calls with top pair.

Sorcerer808
11-13-2006, 06:23 PM
As played and without any reads I call there 100% of the time. He could have weaker two pairs or even total air (since most of the hands here would check back). Now, I would strongly advice you to bet the flop. If you don't get any action, so be it, the only thing you can beat on that flop that will give you any action is a K with another card (likely higher than a seven) so you don't even want to give them free cards. If the flop gets checked around if you check, you'll either win a small pot on turn or loose a big pot on the river.

ticks
11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you avoid loosing a lot of money when you hold top two to a small set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont.

(without a SOLID read)

Gravy
11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
99% of the time I'd just bet/3-bet the flop.

essence86
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Not much to do....I would definetely call the river, not raise though. Donīt get broke in an unraised pot!

I also sometimes run into trouble from the BB, having a hand I wouldnt normally play.

kurto
11-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Some hands you're meant to lose money. Epecially if you're not particuarly deep stacked.

If I have top two and there's no obvious flush... against most players you're ready to lose a big pot with top 2.

Bartzini
11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Lol..so i get home from work.

first hand of 10NL i hold 6/9 suited in the bb.

I call with the other 5 limpers on a 6 max table.

flop is 6 9 J

I lead out 1/2 pot.

I get one caller rest fold.

turn is an A. I bet out the pot, he go's all in. At this level how can i fold...i call..he has AA.

boompow there go's the first 10 of the night.

Mal_Pais
11-13-2006, 07:29 PM
In the immortal words of Ness, "I go broke here like its my job."

About the only way to read your opponent for a set is if he's a somewhat decent player who limps (I say somewhat decent, because a good player would "raise that *&#$ up /images/graemlins/grin.gif), calls a PFR, then gets real aggressive on the flop. You have to have a great read to know that your opponent wouldn't shove all the chips in on the flop without a monster. At the micros, most villians are 'not that good' (to be polite) and will go broke with top pair, although most are passive players who are reluctant to be the aggressor, and will make crying calls with top pair. The checkraise all-in is often an indicator, but with top two, I'm thinking like Ness.

Big Poppa Smurf
11-13-2006, 07:31 PM
bartzini,

maybe you should just suck it up and stop posting bad beats where you're just going to have to go broke against unknowns!

Bartzini
11-13-2006, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should just suck it up and stop posting bad beats where you're just going to have to go broke against unknowns!

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? i posted an ironic hand considering i made this post from work today and came home to the first hand of the day being this exact situation. had nothing to do with a bad beat.

if it offends you or what not, move along..im not forcing you to read it right?

Big Poppa Smurf
11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
bart,

you posted one hand where the title is basically "top 2 verses set oh poor me", and then another hand where you lost with two pair. the first one is a bad beat in disguise, the second one is just you complaining. there is the "microbrew" thread for this.

however i guess i did come off a little harsh, so i'm sorry for the tone. you will get much more out of 2+2 and better replies if you don't reveal results though and focus instead on playing each hand the best you can.

fwiw in the first hand you should've gotten stacked, you should be betting the flop and trying to get all in here

Bartzini
11-13-2006, 07:45 PM
I have 2 total posts started by me.

One was to analyze a play where i held a straight to a small flush...i think its currently about 2 posts down from this.

this one was just wondering how others go about playing 2 pair when you are faced with a large reraise or the possibility of a set.

Then it just so happened the exact thing happened to me after i made the post so i laughed and posted it.

i dont consider much at this level to be bad beat worthy...its just pennies really, if i lost a few hundred or even 100 then i may be considered crying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

redCashion
11-14-2006, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you avoid loosing a lot of money when you hold top two to a small set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont.

(without a SOLID read)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm on a little run of flopping top two vs bottom set and getting all the money in on the flop, but you're good here enough times that you just have to keep firing.

orange
11-14-2006, 01:46 AM
you need a great read to fold top 2.

here is a thread where i fold top 2:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7976454 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=797645 4&Searchpage=2&Main=7968624&Words=top&topic=&Searc h=true#Post7976454)