PDA

View Full Version : extracting money with a set from a "smart" lag player

EricW
11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Villain seems like a tricky LAG who seems to think some what. We've played a lot of hands together and I think he knows that I'm very TAG.

Normally when I hit sets against PF raisers, I raise like this and try to get in usually on the turn. However, I'm thinking I should change it up especially against this guy. Does this raise scream "I have a set!" especially since he knows that I'm TAG? In a situation like this, should I just call, then let him lead the turn and then push?

Also, do you guys find that you get more calls if you just push the flop with a huge hand rather than reraising and trying to get in on the turn?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $58.40
Hero: $102
CO: $25.70
Button: $51.15
SB: $27.35
BB: $133.65

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($24.25, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $17</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $55</font>.
Uncalled bets: $38 returned to Hero.

Turn: : ($58.25, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: $58.25

degenrat
11-13-2006, 08:19 AM
i call the flop and give him another shot at betting the turn. if he checks the turn i often check behind to pick off the river bluff.

only if the opp is pretty lag though.

homeslice
11-13-2006, 08:23 AM
That's a dry flop. Call the flop, and bet or raise the turn.

Freelancer
11-13-2006, 08:31 AM
I doubt you'll get any money out of him if he's a good LAG if he doesn't have a two pair/set. A coldcall on the flop looks extremely scary and is likely a big hand. Especially if he views you as a TAG who doesnt get out of line a lot. A push might be interpret as a resteal and might get AJ to call, a turn bet just looks extremely redicilously fishy.

This is assuming villain knows what he's up to.

Sir Winalot
11-13-2006, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a dry flop. Call the flop, and bet or raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'd do too. And I think this might look more like AA/KK than a set to him.

wslee00
11-13-2006, 12:34 PM
if he has AA-QQ, he's going to go all-in on the flop after you raise. He probably had AK. I think it's good to raise since if he has K's or Q's, there are overs that may slow him down.