PDA

View Full Version : 3 hands where I get stacked holding JJ or QQ

N0va
11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
These are all hands where I have an medium sized overpair while my opponent is showing a lot of strength. I can get away from them if the flop comes down with overcards, but when it comes down leaving me with an overpair I feel committed, and I know this has to be a leak. How could I have better played these hands?

Hand 1, Villain was 29/6/1.7 over ~50 hands.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
7 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $0.2</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $1.7</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.65, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $3.25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $11.45</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($26.55, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $26.55)

River: 4/images/graemlins/club.gif ($26.55, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $26.55)

Results:
Final pot: $26.55

I didn't know what to make of the preflop action. On the flop I have an overpair, but I am still concerned about the aggression he showed preflop. After his bet the pot will be the size of my remaining stack, commiting me on the turn. I am ahead of JJ (which would make sense), AK (played very badly), or a PP that didn't hit a set (played very badly). I am behind AA (makes sense), KK (makes sense), TT (played badly, but possible), or a set made with a small PP (played badly).

Overall the hands that beat me seem a lot more likely than the hands that don't, both in numerical likelihood and logical liklihood. Nevertheless, I have a hard time folding an overpair. How should this have played differently?

Hand 2, Villain is 41/8/2.8

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
7 players

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.3</font>, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($1, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1.4</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.8, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $7.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $7</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.2 returned to UTG.

River: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($18, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $17.8, Sidepot 1: $0.2)

Results:
Final pot: $18

Hand 3, VIllain is 20/4/2 over ~80 hands.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
9 players

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.45</font>, 4 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif ($1.05, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($5.05, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $7.95</font>, Button calls.

River: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($20.95, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $20.95)

Results:
Final pot: $20.95

Any advice on what i could have done differently in any of these is appreciated, as well as any other general advice on medium-strong pairs.

pdoran10
11-12-2006, 02:37 PM
hand #1, he basically told you that he had AA KK i think. A player who raises 6% of the time and 3 bets you preflop usually has QQ beat.

Hand #2, you called off all your chips with 2nd pair and the 3rd nut flush draw...

Hand #3, the only thing i think a tight villan like this min raises here that we can beat is an open ended straight draw that got there on the turn... Very unlikely he min raises with A9 or K9 or something here.

N0va
11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
bump

Panthro
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
again, pay attention to those stats. When a passive tighty is min-raising you, alarm bells should be going off in your head.

hand 1: this is tough. Based on stats, villain probably has AA/KK/QQ/AK here, and with that low AF, he may have checked the flop with AK.

hand 2: as played, definate fold. You could have 3-bet PF to find out if JJ was good here...and if you get minraised back, you should be fairly certain you're up against a bigger pair.

hand 3: call the minraise on the flop, fold to the PSB on the turn.

Check_The_Nuts
11-12-2006, 10:26 PM
hand 1:

Call 4bet, check fold that flop has been my line lately. feels pretty weak-tight, and I often wonder if its correct.

Hand 2:

I probably call preflop and bet flop, probably leave it at that if called. Don't call his overbet, geez. If you check here, leave the full pot bets alone, its too expensive to bluff him.

Hand 3:

He probably has a set from his flop play. Not sure what he was calling your pfr from, but I would guess most broadways and all pairs. Most likely a set then. I find when people bluff at me on the low flops its never for a minraise. Then again I never bet pot on the flop. I go broke here depending on villian tendencies on low flops.

Check_The_Nuts
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
don't suggest results btw. I think it at least clouded my responses :/