PDA

View Full Version : Getting 2-1 with 2nd pocket pair against unkwown $10 NL 6 max

DeuceSeven
11-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I'm new to the table, getting great odds on the all in on the flop, about 2:1. If villain shoved with say another $1 behind, or makes this raise with a full stack I muck my hand like it's 27. I felt getting 2:1 and figure I'm ahead about 40% of the time here so I have to call.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4.05
UTG+1: $15.15
Hero: $10.90
Button: $10.50
SB: $13.40
BB: $9.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $0.2</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.65, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $0.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in $3.85</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($8.35, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $8.35)

River: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($8.35, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $8.35)

Results:
Final pot: $8.35
[

jdd12
11-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Isn't this the NL equivalent of capping pre-flop in limit and then saying you had odds to chase because the pot was so big?

Also, you're new to the table and have no reads on UTG...although that UTG minraise and then that almostminbet on the flop makes me want to kidney punch the villian.

Ahhh..I can't spit out why I kind of like and dislike it at the same time. Someone smarter than me, chime in. I think this is a good hand for discussion.

Marshall28
11-12-2006, 02:25 AM
RERAISE PF.

when you dont make a raise w/ this hand pf you are pretty much playing it purely for its set value.

id have made it .80 to go ... then when the flop comes 3T2 ... he checks to you, and you bet ... you accomplish a few things ...

1st ... you built a pot big enough PF to take it down on the flop.

2nd .. your bet on the flop has MUCH MORE fold equity.

this is because since you didnt raise before the flop its much more difficult for villain to put u on an overpair.

dont get too hung up on the odds you are getting to call an all in w/ 2nd pair ...i see a lot of players on these forums doing just what u did here ... i can tell you right now, its not important at micro stakes. personally i think its a waste of brain power since your percentages will be so far off. i said it in another post not long ago ... you cant figure the villains at these limits to be consistent doing anything, so your percentages and estimations will be WAY OFF in general. best to play ABC poker.

DeuceSeven
11-12-2006, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
RERAISE PF.

when you dont make a raise w/ this hand pf you are pretty much playing it purely for its set value.

id have made it .80 to go ... then when the flop comes 3T2 ... he checks to you, and you bet ... you accomplish a few things ...

1st ... you built a pot big enough PF to take it down on the flop.

2nd .. your bet on the flop has MUCH MORE fold equity.

this is because since you didnt raise before the flop its much more difficult for villain to put u on an overpair.

dont get too hung up on the odds you are getting to call an all in w/ 2nd pair ...i see a lot of players on these forums doing just what u did here ... i can tell you right now, its not important at micro stakes. personally i think its a waste of brain power since your percentages will be so far off. i said it in another post not long ago ... you cant figure the villains at these limits to be consistent doing anything, so your percentages and estimations will be WAY OFF in general. best to play ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally reraise this. But my question has more to do with pot odds. I think you can get an estimation on some villains, even at these donktatic stakes.

Marshall28
11-12-2006, 02:48 AM
cant say ... he could have a 10 he could have AA he could have nothing ...

its always better to be the aggressor.. playing passive is what puts us in these difficult situations.

thats why i dont have an answer for u in terms of pot odds ... im only telling u how to avoid the situation altogether.

Waingro
11-12-2006, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i said it in another post not long ago ... you cant figure the villains at these limits to be consistent doing anything, so your percentages and estimations will be WAY OFF in general. best to play ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if we are not going to use percentages and estimations to determin these situations, what are we going to use? Folding everything but the near nuts in situations like this is not optimal.

OP,
I might just call the flop, since you are basically comitted if he pushes, which you found out the hard way.