PDA

View Full Version : AKs from Button: Default ABC advice needed

Hellmouth
11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
.10/.25 NL on Full Tilt. 6max.

Villian is the BB and has only played one or two hands and I have no history on him. My table image is a little loose but I cant expect that he knows this since he just sat. He may have watched me win one pot with a continuation bet on the flop.

I am on the button with AKc. One person is sitting out and I it is folded to me. I raise 4xBB to $1.

SB Folds, BB raises to $4. He has $6 left in his stack.

In my mind he must not be a great or knowledgable player since he only bought in for $10. To me this seems like a situation where getting it all in before the flop with AKs (ala NLT&P) might be applicable. However, I felt since the implied odds sucked (aka villian doesn't have much behind so I either double him up when I am behind to AA KK etc) or I don't win much.

I folded. However I don't think that this is at all the best play, I just wasn't sure whether or not to push, call or fold.

Edit: I guess what I am trying to say is, I want to get my money in with the best hand but am not sure that I have the best hand here. Is that retarded? Is this a push that any monkey but me can make?

How would you play it?
Greg

MrMxyztplk
11-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Since you have no history, I'd usually be inclined to push, especially when there's dead-money on the table (beyond just the blinds).

Jigsaws
11-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Either push or fold. For 40BBs I push. Good for metagame.

TyFuji
11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
push push push push .10/.25 donks call all day with AQ and AJ and often with even wackier holdings

Hellmouth
11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
push push push push .10/.25 donks call all day with AQ and AJ and often with even wackier holdings

[/ QUOTE ]

At what level do we give this guy credit for a big pocket pair?

Greg

rebuyboy
11-11-2006, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Either push or fold. For 100 BBs I push. Good for metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmouth
11-11-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either push or fold. For 100 BBs I push. Good for metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this introduce significant varience into your BR?

Greg

Hellmouth
11-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Ive been running some pokerstove simulations to see where to draw the line here.

It looks like with the dead money in even the tightest range is close to 50/50. Anything even slightly looser is a push easily.

vs QQ+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 55.1977 % 43.17% 12.03% { AcKc }
Hand 2: 44.8023 % 32.77% 12.03% { QQ+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+ }

The only time it looks bad is if I isolate villian to very strong suited hands and High PP's. Taking out AKo and AQo
Hand 1: 47.2928 % 40.58% 06.72% { AcKc }
Hand 2: 52.7072 % 45.99% 06.72% { QQ+, AQs+, KQs }

Even here with the money already in the pot it looks like a coin flip.

But look what happens if I assume that Villian has AKs or better.
Hand 1: 32.0823 % 17.45% 14.63% { AcKc }
Hand 2: 67.9177 % 53.29% 14.63% { KK+, AKs }

If I add in QQ,JJ this drops down to 60% against my 40%.

Here we are clearly a dog to AA,KK,AKs. Since the action indicates a very big hand can we really assume this is a push?

Greg

Innocent Kitty
11-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Your ranges for a typical 25NL player are way too tight IMO.

Hellmouth
11-11-2006, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your ranges for a typical 25NL player are way too tight IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats what I'm trying to flush out. I put the player on exactly AA, KK and folded. I think now that that is premature.

Greg

Waingro
11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Ok, the key here is villains small stack and ak plays like the nuts against your average shortstacker at NL25. Push and be happy about it.

Yes, most of the time, villain thinks he has a good hand. But this particular type of villain thinks kjo is a premium hand, hence we push.

Bonesy
11-12-2006, 01:27 AM
To me this is a very simple push here. Not even close. Villain's range is most likely much larger than you give him credit for. Maybe he has you on a button steal. Maybe he likes to get aggressive with AJs. The list can go on and on. Push this thing for only 40BB's. And forget implied odds. There are none.

[ QUOTE ]

Here we are clearly a dog to AA,KK,AKs.
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

To be nitty. We are even vs AKs.

Hellmouth
11-12-2006, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To me this is a very simple push here. Not even close. Villain's range is most likely much larger than you give him credit for. Maybe he has you on a button steal. Maybe he likes to get aggressive with AJs. The list can go on and on. Push this thing for only 40BB's. And forget implied odds. There are none.

[ QUOTE ]

Here we are clearly a dog to AA,KK,AKs.
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

To be nitty. We are even vs AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just meant that that we are behind if that is villian's range (plugged into pokerstove).

I've been thinking about this last night and even if his range is just marginally looser I am ahead here and should push.

I just wonder what a player who just sat down and has no reads is willing to push into PF aggression.

True he might have put me on a blind steal. Even if that is a 5% chance, then that is probably enough to turn this into a push.

Greg