PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice

Baxter
02-01-2006, 03:40 AM
I've been playing LO8 for about 9 months. For 2005 I averaged about 2 BB/hr at the 2/4 tables on Party. Recently I quit my job and moved home to get ready for grad school, so I have all the time I need to play, whereas before I only could play in the evenings. For this past January I was a -2 BB/hr player, and I've seen my bankroll drop almost 200 BB's! I tried to make an adjustment to my game, because I my VPIP was around 32, and I wanted to drop it to 20ish. Once I did this, I feel like I'm only playing to the nuts all the time. This makes it wayyyyyy too easy to fold postflop when I actually do play. I feel like I'm $2'ing myself to death at the table, and when I do win, I split the pot. When I sit down to play now, I'm already worried that I'm going to lose. What can I do? Should I take a break from playing? Should I switch games/formats? Thanks.

joop
02-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Sounds like your sample size is very small, if you have only lost 200BB whilst running at -2BB/hr for the whole of January. I don't play LO8, but if the variance is anything like LHE, then being down 200BB is nothing to worry about, these are just regular swings that happen from time to time. However, if you feel like you're losing confidence, maybe you should take a break from poker for a week, or so.

joop
02-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Also, be aware that the games are easier in the evenings. So if you're playing more during the day now, you're going to be up against tougher competition, which will lower your winrate and increase your variance.

Blackwolf
02-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah take a break, maybe reread SSHE and come back fresh? A break from poker never hurts.

phydaux
02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah take a break, maybe reread SSHE and come back fresh? A break from poker never hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he plays Lowball.