PDA

View Full Version : The tragedy of Ted Haggart

MidGe
11-11-2006, 03:08 AM
link (http://blogs.chron.com/bluebayou/2006/11/the_tragedy_of_ted_haggard.html)
"Here's a guy who obviously has been struggling with his need for intimacy from another man for most of his life. And any gay person has to feel at least a little empathy with that, however much the way he's dealt with it is destructive - to himself and to openly gay people and to society as a whole - and worthy of anger."

A different viewpoint from fundamentalists! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SNOWBALL
11-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I feel sorry for Ted Haggard too. A relative of mine is a gay christian, and he's totally whacko. He's in the closet about his sexuality, and I think it's driving him insane. Poor guy. I wish christians wouldn't be so anti-gay. I don't see why they need to interpret the bible that way. There are a lot of rules in the bible that they completely ignore. I wish the rule about homosexuality were one of them.

David Sklansky
11-11-2006, 05:52 PM
"Here's a guy who obviously has been struggling with his need for intimacy from another man"

The only need I read about was one for homosexual sex, outside of marriage, with a paid prostitute accompanied by despicable drugs. And a need to hold on to power without regard to what lies needed to be told to do that.

arahant
11-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Everybody suffers with something. While I know he's suffering, i'm not sure what the cause is. There are two ways to look at this (well, there's a middle too...but the ends of the spectrum...), and i don't know the man well enough to know which applies.

1) He doesn't believe what he preaches. He is just a 'performer', opportunistically taking advantage of gullible believers. In this case, he isn't suffering from the conflict between being gay and christian. He's still suffering under the weight of living a false life, though.

2)He actually believes what he says. Which must suck, since i guess he goes to hell now? Although with the endless capacity of evangelicals to delude themselves, i'm sure he'll be 'redeemed' and all that BS.

Anyway, if i were more enlightened, i would feel nothing but compassion for his situation. As it is, i have to admit that i have trouble stopping thoughts like "you stupid a**hole...serves you freaking right...".

If he's really suffering from internal conflict, i just want to say..."man...you're gay, there is no god, get over it"

siegfriedandroy
11-12-2006, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Here's a guy who obviously has been struggling with his need for intimacy from another man"

The only need I read about was one for homosexual sex, outside of marriage, with a paid prostitute accompanied by despicable drugs. And a need to hold on to power without regard to what lies needed to be told to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

but in my view, this is all perfectly fine.

siegfriedandroy
11-12-2006, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but in my view, this is perfectly fine. and if any of you disagree, well, i believe you are WRONG

MidGe
11-12-2006, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only need I saw as a problem, was the need to hold to power without regards to what lies needed to be told to do that.
That need was rooted in religion, the others, very natural and, perhaps, opportunistic, expressions of a specific individual essence.

siegfriedandroy
11-12-2006, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only need I saw as a problem, was the need to hold to power without regards to what lies needed to be told to do that.
That need was rooted in religion, the others, very natural and, perhaps, opportunistic, expressions of a specific individual essence.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you see that as a problem? i see it as fine to 'hold to power' by any means. you are wrong to see that as problematic. about how his 'gay needs' were rooted in religion please expound- i am 7 beers deep (of course my thoughts are now invalid!). sklansky is so moral. so obvious, even after 7 (er, 37 beers). i love DS, i love midge, i love fortuna max, but i hate kurt he is worse than toby! lol whatever he may as well not exist. ds, who is more moral, u or matusow would you, ds, ever transport drugs to iowa?

siegfriedandroy
11-12-2006, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansk, you sound like an old roommate (good friend) of mine from college. Except you know a bit more about poker than he does /images/graemlins/smile.gif - yet he is wiser philosophically /images/graemlins/smile.gif - pete