PDA

View Full Version : Beat: actually can't move (paging Dr. BBV)

dangerous_badman
11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
So I'm chilling in front the computer browsing the internets, and my cat strolls into my room, I turn my head a touch to the left to say hello (just a very small movement) and suddenly out of nowhere OOPS POW SURPRISE OH MY GOD SUCH UNBELIEVABLE PAIN. My whole back is very painful, but it's mostly concentrated just under and around my left shoulder blade. I can move my right arm around okay-ish, but if I try and move my left arm above the elbow it causes really severe pain all up and down my back, up to the base of my neck. I can move my head forward and back just a little bit, but turning it to either side is extremely painful. Trying to shift my weight forward in my chair, or move my upper body at all, is like having a knife stuck in my back.

So, I've been sat in my chair in front of my computer for like the last 15 minutes, the pain hasn't subsided any, and I'm basically incapacitated - there's no way in hell I can possibly get up, and I only have the use of one arm. I understand the usual 2+2 response to this stuff is 'lol go see your doctor idiot', but I can't even get out of my chair to do that. There's a mobile phone within my reach, so I could call the emergency services and get taken to hospital. Do I need to? I would feel really, really dumb if I call an ambulance and it turns out that I've just trapped a nerve or something.

FWIW, I'm in reasonable (but not good) physical shape, and have no history of back trouble (and as much as I understand it, back problems usually occur in the lower back area, right?). I've never injured the shoulder before or anything, either.

DJ_Northstar
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
sounds like a pinched nerve.

call a chiropractor.

Enrico Pallazzo
11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I am not a Doctor, but this sounds like a rhomboid muscle strain. I had this happen to me a few years ago and it was not fun. Was in good shape when it happened too.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_rhomboid_sma.htm

I got prescriptions for muscle relaxers and potent pain killers. Was back to normal in about a week. Good luck sir.

MoreGentilythanU
11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
u might want to call the ER if it does not improve soon

THEOSU
11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
OP,

webMD ftw.

Equal
11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Dude dont fukk around with this, get to the doctor ASAP, even if you have to call an ambulance.

bdiddy12
11-10-2006, 10:03 AM
walk it off

dangerous_badman
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Ugh, I'm conflicted about what to do now. 20 minutes on I feel like I've got a bit of mobility back in my arms and upper body, so I think I'm gonna give it another little while. If I can move around after that, I'll just try and see someone about it tomorrow. If I'm still immobile, I'm going to err on the side of caution and call out a doctor or something.

Enrico,

Thanks for the link. That seems pretty plausible, especially this part:

[ QUOTE ]
How does it occur?

It can also occur from activities such as:

* rowing
* carrying a heavy backpack, especially over one shoulder
* poor posture, especially from prolonged use of a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks all for the advice.

HossTheBoss
11-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Ayyyyyyy

Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out
Now Walk It Out

[Chorus:]
West Side Walk It Out
South Side Walk It Out
East Side Walk It Out
North Side Walk It Out
[Repeat]

Ok Now Do It How U Do It Gone And Walk It Out
I Said Do It How U Do Gone And Walk It Out
Ok Do It How U Do It Gone And Walk It Out
I Say Do It How U Do It Gone And Walk It Out

Georgia Avenue
11-10-2006, 11:02 AM

MowrMowr
11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Something very similar happened to me a few months ago. I ended up going to the hospital when my arm started going numb. X-rays were all negative (i.e. none of my discs moved), so I got a shot of demerol (:drool) and prescriptions for muscle relaxers, pain killers and anti-inflammatory. The next 2 days were very bad, could barely get out of bed, days 3-6 were painful and day 7 was pretty much back to normal. My neck started to feel weird again so I saw a chiropractor and I was 100% within 24 hours and have been fine since then. I wish I had seen a chiropractor early on in the period. He used a process called ART:

http://www.activerelease.com/

You may want to give it a shot if there's a practicing person near you.

bulldogs24
11-10-2006, 11:17 AM
play like a champion today

Rolen
11-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Rub some dirt on it

vhawk01
11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a muscle strain or tear, previous poster said rhomboid, I'll go with that. The pain was probably from an impingment of the spinal accessory nerve, that would make it really tough to turn your neck on way (the opposite way of which nerve was injured) and would also explain the inability to shrug or really twist at all.

You probably didnt do any real damage, and if the pain goes away you are probably fine, but if this lasts much longer or if it comes back at all you really need to see a doctor. You dont want to lose this nerve, it will suck...a lot.

Yads
11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wack it off

[/ QUOTE ]

Little_Luck
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Post your medical problems on more poker forums