PDA

View Full Version : Playing a weak flush in position on turn and river

CLB
11-10-2006, 12:58 AM
What's my line here on the turn and river?

Anyone playing the 6-high flush faster here (heh, fast period I guess)?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $53.65
Hero: $54.80
MP1: $46.70
MP2: $21.70
MP3: $51.40
CO: $49.25
Button: $50
SB: $70.80
BB: $19.50

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($22.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $15</font>, Hero calls.

River: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($52.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $52.5

JoshNjuice
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Absent reads, I think you can value bet the river here. His flop c/r feels like QJ, KQ, KJ or KT to me. It doesn't feel like a semi-bluff, because it's not big enough to get you to fold. The only hand I'd really fear (by the river) that he could have is QdJd.

But I doubt he checks the river there with a big flush because you've slowed way down (had a chance to re-raise flop and raise turn and you didn't take either), so he has to be thinking that he has to value bet to get any more money out of you.

I think you missed a bet on the river and there are a lot of hands you can beat that he would call you with.

That being said, I like the call on the turn. You have position and there's no reason to go running face-first into a bigger flush for all your chips. I just think he seems to be trying for a cheap showdown on the river with two pair or a straight (or maybe top pair).

JoshNjuice

Jigsaws
11-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Not shoving the turn is awful. Checking the river is awful.

JoshNjuice
11-10-2006, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pay enough attention to stack sizes here. For some reason I thought you were deeper (NL100). I think shoving the turn here to get value from the bigger hands and draws in his range is better than checking the small flush. If he has something like KQd, or AdT, I think you want the money in now.

As played, I think you should value bet the river.

NSchandler
11-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Easy shove on both streets.

Wu36
11-10-2006, 04:34 AM
I usually don't like to make condescending posts, but what possessed you to check that river?

akkahai
11-10-2006, 05:32 AM
*grunch*

Why are you raising 65s UTG+1 in full ring? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raise turn, and the only sensible raise here is all in. Why are you afraid of a bigger flush? This looks to me like he has a strong made hand and a bigger flush is only a very small part of his range.

Especially if you raise 65s in early position this is the kind of concealed hand you want to make with it.

Spleen
11-10-2006, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pay enough attention to stack sizes here. For some reason I thought you were deeper (NL100). I think shoving the turn here to get value from the bigger hands and draws in his range is better than checking the small flush. If he has something like KQd, or AdT, I think you want the money in now.

As played, I think you should value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir Winalot
11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
lol @ turn and river. Push turn, push river. I guess calling turn isn't that bad if you think he'll fold but checking behind on river is unforgiveable.

ymu
11-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Calling the turn is OK-ish if you think he'll fold to a push - a bigger made flush is unlikely but a bigger flush draw is a bit of a worry. Still - he only has 7 outs to hit a bigger flush if he has a diamond, so keeping him in with his straight/two pair is fine.

Bigger flushes rarely check this river. Push. With your flat call on the turn, he's less likely to put you on a flush and will call you with plenty of weaker hands, thinking he induced a bluff.